trolley maps (etc)

X-No-archive:yes

Hi,I've posted here a couple of times and have gotten really good advice,but I still haven't purchased my first set. I had the idea of just getting a set for around the tree,but as I read through your threads and look at the potential of this hobby I have become interested in the idea of creating a replica of my home town rail system.It seems like this would be a project with a high enough fun factor to warrant the expense. My question: Are there maps available for specific locations that show where rail lines run? Also I would be greatly interested in the old trolly systems of the WWII era especially the old Key system of the S.F. bay area,and the "inter-urban"(red car)and local trolly systems of L.A. Calif. And lastly,does anyone make H.O.trolly cars or does one have to start from scratch. I really do appreciate any input.I apologize for being so inquisitive.

******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

OK,forget it.I see the error in my thinking.I would have to use N gauge and have a layout the size of my entire garage to do anything like this. Brian(just out of surgery and still in a fog)

******************** There are three kinds of lies; lies,damned lies,and statistics.---Disraeli
Reply to
Brian Orion

Brian, For maps try Topo Zone. Its free to use. They will show modern railroad right of ways, yards siding and so on. They often will show the grades for long abandoned railroads or branchlines. They are from USGS maps so you could use those as well. If you are interested in older railroads from the steam era you may be able to find Sanborn or other maps at you library that show a great bit of detail, even accurate locations of structures as they were fire insurance maps.

There are lots of models of trolley cars and street cars. It a whole segment with in the hobby. Many trolley models are brass but may be the way to go if you want a specific prototype. I don't know a lot about trolleys but a google search on something like Trolley Models or Street Car Models will probably turn up a lot of web sites that sell trolley stuff. Here's a neat site for Trolleys in the San Francisco area I happen to have book marked and may lead you to the information your after or make some contacts who can.
I noticed your other post about train sets. If you just want something for under the tree that operates very well and are nice models take a look at Bachmann Spectrum On30 sets. You can get a good price on them if you search the net a little. I bought one about five years ago for under the tree and have four locomotives and about a dozen cars now. They make a neat On30 trolley too that you can get in set with track. On30 is O scale narrow gauge ( in O scale the track gauge is 30") and they operate on any HO gauge track. You can also get On30 track that is still the same gauge as HO but the ties are O scale and more realistic. If you have an interest in On30 or want more info try the On30 Conspiracy at yahoo groups. You will get all the help you need and find where to get good prices too.

Have Fun! Bruce

"Brian Orion" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3236.bay.webtv.net...

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Brian, Just model a small section of the line or use what we like to call selective compression. In other words cram as much as possible in to less space than possible and don't let reality get in the way. Everyone does it. It's about the only way to model most railroads even if you have a super sized triple jet aircraft hanger in the back yard and an unlimited bank roll. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Not really. Even in N scale a mile would be 33 feet long. To model a 10-mile stretch completely would require 330 feet of track, which is more than a lot of modelers have available for mainline running.

As an example, I'm modeling the (Chicago) North Shore Line. In one stretch I'm modeling North Chicago to Zion, IL in a stretch of about 25 feet, which is 10 miles compressed down to less than half a scale mile.

In answer to your original question, there should be a number of books available on the LA Pacific Electric. There are plans for one type of car published in an interurban modeling book by Kalmbach whose title escapes me at the moment. Copies of it turn up on eBay all the time. There are trolley layout suggestions in the back of the book, modeling tips for street trackage and overhead wire, and a section of car drawings from various lines.

I'd send you a scan for a sample, but the kids unplugged the scanner while the computer was on and screwed the whole thing up. The printer won't even work!

Jay

All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic. All messages from domain hotmail.com have been blocked.

Reply to
JCunington

Got a web site? I used to live in Zion and work in North Chicago (Amer. Steel & Wire). Only for a year or two in the 50's, then we moved to Rogers Park. I've thought of modelling the L, with the occasional North Shore train passing through.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I have a web site, but no digital cam yet. Once I do I'll have to do some quick modeling to put my money where my (typing) mouth is.

I have the landform modeled from Pettibone Yard to the 'north side of Waukegan', but not much track laid yet (9 tracks in Pettibone with the east and west lines installed for NSL and C&NW). I had to eliminate North Chicago Junction and move the station to Valley Junction as NCJ would be the current end of the layout.. I'm looking at the piping around the sump pump (a bulge in the wall to conceal everything) and wondering if I should re-route pipes or use the bulge to get tracks below grade to hidden staging. I haven't decided yet.

Due to economic circumstances, the shift I'm working, and my Baldwin modeling project, work on the layout has been suspended for about the last 12 months except for occasional bursts of activity. My next job in the basement is to install some outlets in the end of the basement where the layout is not. I currently have one wall outlet at that end which holds the 2 computers, printer, 2 CRTs, scanner, TV and VCR. I'd like to spread it out a bit, so layout work will wait a bit longer.

Jay

website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.

Reply to
JCunington