turnouts? is there life beyond atlas or do it yourself?

actually, I do know of the brands listed in walthers, but a recent threadconcerning tortise machines indicated that there are other manufacturersout there. I've been replacing burned out atlas two solenoids with tortise, but I still have the problem of my little switchers stalling out when they traverse the frog of the Atlas #4 and #6 turnouts at slow speed.

So, what are the better brands available?

Reply to
larry l.

So use the contacts on the tortoise to switch power to the frog. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Peco turnouts are better than the Atlas junk. Personally, I prefer to lay my own from plain rail. Turnouts look and work a lot better than any of the crud that is made in the way of plastic tie turnouts as the gauge is set right so that it all works. Sometimes I forget to put the guard rails on and never notice for a while until looking at the turnout sees the missing component. The guard rails are the last thing I do and, as it is the tail end of the assembly, sometimes I get called away and forget that that job still needs to be done.

-- There are more Democrats on the Calif. Special Election than Republicans! Go count if you don't believe me! Bob May

Reply to
Bob May

Peco electrofrog.

Reply to