deraliment

I finished building my first n scale layout with some turnouts a few days ago. To test the tracks, I try to run the steam loco at max speed through all the tracks. That works pretty good with some occasional hop here and there. When I try to run it with the cars, I have to slow down the speed to avoid derailments. When I do this, the loco hesitate when it goes through the plastic part of the turnout (frog?), because there is no electricity. When it does this, sometimes the cars that continue to have forward momentum derail. Other times, the loco wants to go to the gap in the middle of the plastic frog and then does a little hop or something. This only happens in one of the bachman turnouts that seems to have a poorer quality finish than the atlas turnouts. Is there a way to correct this? Im not sure if I am looking in the right place for the problem. I want to get the loco and the cars to run smoothly forever. I set them up and have them run for a while, and when I get distracted, they derail. To check the tracks, another thing that I did was to take a wheelset from a car and I run it through all the tracks. The wheelset alone seems to run pretty good.

I was thinking of getting an all metal turnout. Would this prevent the hesitation that I am getting and smooth out the transitions? Advise, suggestions. Thx in advance,

Andres

Reply to
andresmuro

Andres wrote: I finished building my first n scale layout with some turnouts a few days ago. To test the tracks, I try to run the steam loco at max speed through all the tracks. That works pretty good with some occasional hop here and there. When I try to run it with the cars, I have to slow down the speed to avoid derailments. When I do this, the loco hesitate when it goes through the plastic part of the turnout (frog?), because there is no electricity. When it does this, sometimes the cars that continue to have forward momentum derail. Other times, the loco wants to go to the gap in the middle of the plastic frog and then does a little hop or something. This only happens in one of the bachman turnouts that seems to have a poorer quality finish than the atlas turnouts. Is there a way to correct this? Im not sure if I am looking in the right place for the problem. I want to get the loco and the cars to run smoothly forever. I set them up and have them run for a while, and when I get distracted, they derail. To check the tracks, another thing that I did was to take a wheelset from a car and I run it through all the tracks. The wheelset alone seems to run pretty good. I was thinking of getting an all metal turnout. Would this prevent the hesitation that I am getting and smooth out the transitions? Advise, suggestions. Thx in advance,

------------------------------------------------- Are the Bachmann turnouts the E-Z track ones or the older non-EZ track ones? I found that with the older Bachmann turnouts (also marketed by Model Power), where the closure point closes into the track, it was necessary to file it to get a better closure. The Atlas turnouts don't need this treatment. I had a couple of Bachmann turnouts on my layout and replaced them with Atlas turnouts to avoid more problems such as you are encountering.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites: