Atlas Code 83 Custom-Line Turnouts

I've decided to lay some rails at last and I'm planning on using
Atlas Code 83 track products. Pretty sure I know how to handle
flextrack but I'm very interested in hearing about any potential
pitfalls regarding the custom line turnouts. This will be a shelf
layout and I plan on using DPDT slide switches to throw the points,
power the frogs, and illuminate a dwarf signal next to each turnout.
Initially train operation will be by standard DC. The whole thing is
pretty much an experiment on my part to see if I can hang with HO
railroading. If not, I can still use the track components with On30.
At my age it's all about vision.
Any insights you may offer are greatly appreciated.
Tejas Pedro
Reply to
Random Excess
What are you using for switch machines? You should use SPDT/Center off *momentary* switches for twin coil switch machines (preferably with some flavor of capacitor discharge circuit). Regular DPDT switches for stall motor machines. Toggle switches are pretty much just as cheap as slide switches and might be a little more reliable.
Reply to
Robert Heller
It sounded like he intends to use the slide switches with a mechanical linkage to throw the points, as well as switch power to the frogs, and will have no switch machines of either type.
Reply to
Steve Caple
He's using the SLIDE SWITCHES as the switch machines.
I've done exactly the same thing right down to the dwarf signals with Atlas Code 55. A simple hole drilled through the handle of the slide switch and a wire from the handle to the throwbar, and you're done. No expensive switch motors, no momentary contact switches, and they work with DCC as well as DC. I installed them in foam... just cut an opening the size of the body of the switch and push it in. Shoot in some lo-temp hot melt glue, and it's not going anywhere.
Reply to
Joe Ellis
Exactly.
Tejas Pedro
Reply to
Random Excess
Personally, I have shied away from the Atlas turnouts and use Shinohara or Walthers. The frog on the Atlas is not powered and some of my locos will stall right there. No problem with the other two. T> I've decided to lay some rails at last and I'm planning on using
Reply to
adm.nelson
Like I said...
The custom-line frog *can* be powered, it's available locally, and the price is righter.
Tejas Pedro
Reply to
Random Excess
You can also use bell cranks, 90 degree cranks, and the flexible choke rods that you can get from the model airplane hobby shops.
Alan
Reply to
Alan Gilchrist
The Atlas *Code 83 Custom-Line Turnouts* have a powerable frog. It is blacked metal and there is a threaded hole underneath for connecting a wire.
Reply to
Robert Heller
in article 7b832$45312dca$404a99a1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.news-service.com, Robert Heller at snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com wrote on 10/14/06 11:34 AM:
If you can find Atlas "superswitches," I think they look better than the custom line series and they operate the same way: DCC ready, same frog design, etc.
My only real grip about Atlas switches is that the point rails are a bit floppy and will become more so over time. The rivet which holds it in place will deform after a while and electrical conductivity there may be questionable. I know you are not using DCC, but when I used Atlas (I now use Pilz Elite), I carefully soldered a jumper between the stock rails and that rivet to provide better electrical conductivity over time. It you will use some sort of power routing, that connect the power routing wire there instead.
See the DCC wiring web site below for electrical information on a wide variety of turnouts. Though it is geared for DCC (so you can ignore all the shorting stuff for the most part), the tips on insuring long lasting electrical performance are valuable.
Reply to
Edward A. Oates
What about peco track? Any opinonions on that make? Do they have a web site?
Jb
Reply to
J Barnstorf

HO track and points are available in codes 100, 83 and 75. The points are available with powered and unpowered frogs and can be wired for DCC use. Point motors are available for throwing the points electrically. I used the code 75 as the code 83 was not available when I laid the track on my layout and I have to say it looks very good and performs well too.
Chris Packman
Railway Pictures website:-
Chris Packman
Maybe I had a bad one, it was a custom line l/h #4 Atlas turnout, and I even used an ohm meter, couldn't get anything out of it. The frog area was dead. Robert Heller wrote:
Reply to
adm.nelson
It will be if you don't power it.
Reply to
Erik Olsen DK
It will be dead unless you wire it to something. The frogs are not automatically powered. There is a threaded hole underneath for attaching a wire [to a switch or relay].
Reply to
Robert Heller
I have some of the old Atlas custom line turnouts and their frogs are plastic, but recently I bought a couple more of them and the new ones are now metal frogs and are powerable with their switch machines.
Alan
Reply to
Alan Gilchrist
Tortoises go out of fashion? They are under the layout and more realistic unless he's modeling pneumatic switch machines.
Reply to
Big Rich Soprano