Code 83 Switch Wiring

Quick clarification:

If I use plastic, insulated, rail joiners at the end of a Walthers Code

83 switch [on the frog rails] and I simply provide power to the switch from the single end using one pair of metal rail joiners,

1) will that work?

2) Do the frog rails get powered w/o shorts? 3) Do you absolutely have to power the frog with additional wiring for successful switch operation?

Thank You! Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Yes it will.

I believe that they are insulated.

No, but. Relying on the points to conduct the electricity is not the best long term solution. They will get dirty and an insulating film will eventually prevent them from making a good electrical connection. It is always advisable to use some type of device to switch the polarity of the frog and provide the power to it.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

1) Yes 2) Yes 3) No.....but it helps. Running a small wire from the point rails to the frog will keep continuity to the point rails from failing. I solder mine onto the cross piece at the main pivot, but you can also solder to the throwbar.

These are ALL non-DCC recommendations. DCC may require some other mods that I am not familiar with.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Matt Others have answered your questions but I read earlier that you will be using DCC. IIRC you can find a diagram at the Loys Toys site on modifying a Walters turnout. This modification is good for both DC and DCC. Wire those turnouts. It won't take you long once you do one or two. Sooner or later the connection of points against the rail may give you problems. Powering the frog is very easy if your use switch machines that have the switch and leads for the wires built in. Also some locomotives especially steamers my not like dead frogs one bit. The Walthers turnouts are nice but check them with your NMRA gauge because some may be a little out of whack. Check the point rails too and file a taper to the ends so wheels won't pick at the points just to be safe. Or go with PECO. I hear they are coming out with American style track and electro frog turnouts this year. If that's true there will finally be a really well made turnout that looks right too. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Also, I have heard where Walthers code 83 is going to start coming with isolated frogs. Still, something to insure continuity across the point hinge besides what is already there is a good idea, like wires or something. I have not seen a diagram of this new style so we'll see.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Thanks everyone. I will plan to power the frog basd on your recommendation to do so.

Can you please explain the difference [the pros and cons] between an Atlas Code 83 switch and a Walthers Code 83 switch. I'm trying to decide if the Atlas is good enough. Or, should I continue to add to our Walthers switch total.

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan