Basic tracklaying & wiring Qs

First up, PECO insulated rail joiners. We keep having problems with these - join two rails with a standard joiner, its fine. Join them with an insulated joiner, theres a half mil step in the track. Is this a common thing, or have we just got a bad batch of joiners? If it is common, whats the usual method of dealing with it? Put up with a half mil change in height every time we need an insulated joiner? Throw them in the bin, dig out a dremel, and cut rails to insulate things? I dont mind doing that, but I'd need to insulate between directly connected turnouts, which are a little expensive to take a dremel to if I have a less destructive option.

Also, this layout includes a double crossover comprising 4 turnouts and a diamond crossing. I'm no rail expert, but I've never seen a track formation like that in reality. Is this entirely unprototypical, or does it exist on real lines?

Finaly, while we cannot presently use DCC since a number of our bachmann locos cannot easily be converted, we do plan to convert to DCC eventualy. What can we do now to enable us to make the switch without ripping up 30-40 turnouts to convert them to DCC? They are PECO code 75 turnouts.

Reply to
Andrew

"Andrew" wrote

Leave out the insulated joiner and just leave a wide enough gap to avoid the rails expanding in high temperatures and closing the gap. I've successfully avoided this happening in the past by put a small dab of epoxy adhesive between the two rails that are to be isolated from each other.

It's known as a scissors crossing. Don't know that I can ever recall seeing one in the UK.

I'm running DCC successfully without modifying Peco code 75 Electrofrog point in any way.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well now, there are plenty out there to be seen. The Fenchurch St station throat consists entirely of 5 scissors crossovers.

Mind you making one with 4 turnouts and a diamond puts your track spacing far to wide for the normal double track arrangement but would look OK if there is a platform between the tracks. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Scissors crossovers were used as release crossovers on several of the platform roads in Glasgow Central - don't know if they are still in existance since I haven't been back to Glasgow for a good few years.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Thanks. Sounds easier than I thought. No doubt it wont be quite so simple in practice, but then, life is no fun with no problems.

Reply to
Andrew

It's not near a station. I wouldnt mind it so much if it was on the station approach, but its over a bridge from the station. TBH, I suspect it arose simply because he thought it would be more interesting than a pair of crossovers. Is there a way to build this within track spacing?

Reply to
Andrew

What layout? You haven't said.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Don't know about their availability in the UK, but check the Lambert/Shinohara range at

There are (IIRC) a range of rail sizes available from Code 100 to Code 73. You may have to check on how to wire it, again from memory it was a bit peculiar, like their double slip which basically had to be wired as a single block. I think the track centres out at 50/53 mm.

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve Magee

There are several just outside the platforms at London Victoria station.

HTH :¬)

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

Probably because it took less linear space than a pair of crossovers.

Is the bridge long? Is the top of it ballasted? (Could space on the bridge be used for one of the pair of crossovers?)

IIRC Peco do a single track object that is this whole junction. That one is set to their standard double track spacing.

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

"Andrew" wrote

Yes, but not using Peco pointwork. You'd need to get a drawing (or create your own) and scratch build.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You can build them yourself, then you can have any arrangement you like, I haven't got an actual scissors on my layout but you can see similar arrangements on my website, url below. Building track is very satisfying but best to practice on ordinary turnouts before tackling a scissors. Alternatively and much more expensive you can cut down the commercial points. Photocopy them first and put together paper versions until you are sure where you need to cut. Hold it all together by glueing to a piece of decent card.

As someone has mentioned you can get H0 versions from Shinohara but the Peco one is only available in N gauge. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I've used insulated rail joiners at various places around my layout, also some cut rail isolations, and have never had any problems with rail height differences at the insulated joiners. Have you cut away the sleepers to clear the joiners, remember that these are thicker than the ordinary metal rail joiners. Scissors crossings can be seen at some places on the Melbourne tram network, but that isn't a railway. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

In message , Andrew writes

I'd recommend using two separate crossovers, one facing and the other trailing.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , James Moody writes

But that is only in their N gauge range.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

And then only in the fine scale N-gauge (code 55) range.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Fine for you in your garden, most of us are looking for space savings and when you get the bonus of a more interesting formation at the same time, why not. The old railway where points had to be kept within the range of mechanical operation from the signal box went in for compact space saving track layouts. Today where the control centre may be miles aweay and the emphasis is on speed and simplicity spread out layouts of high speed crossovers are the norm. But with one such crossover in 00 coming in at 6 ft long models of such layouts are very rare. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Have a look at

many people refer to the bonding of switch and stock rails as a modification to be DCC friendly it has long been considered 'good practise' with conventianal, e.g. DC, traction supply, so do it before laying the track and there'll be no change required for DCC.

Of course this does require use of some form of switch to change the power feed to the turnout frog, but again this has long been considered 'good practise' on the grounds of reliability (please lets not have hundreds of posts stating "I don't do this and have never had any problems", I didn't say it was essential but just a good idea :-).

If you go for this wiring I'd also recommend getting rid of the little contact tabs on the underside of the switch rails as these will no longer be needed and I have had difficulties with them being fould by ballast that gets into the gap under the stock rail.

Alternatively this whole modification is done to avoid problems of unreliable contact between switch and stock rails plus short circuits from wheels with to small a back to back gap. If you're confident these won't be a problem and you always insulate the turnout frog when power can be fed into the heel rather than the toe then you don't really need to do anything at all.

Reply to
Chris White

The message from "Andrew" contains these words:

Chester (General) had two scissors cross-overs joining the Up through and Up Platform lines, and the Down Through and Down Platform lines, respectively. The cross-overs were sited half-way (-ish) along the platorms, effectively turning two long platforms into four shorter ones thus increasing the station capacity. The cross-overs had their own signal box which appeared to be balanced precariously on the dividing wall betwen the two parts of the station - the gap where the box fitted is still to be seen.

The scissors crossings were taken out some years ago, but a single crossover is still in use enabling a train to use the N.Wales end of platform 3 even if the Crewe end of the platform is occupied. The platform edge is slightly cut away to allow coaching stock to use the cross-over, but I don't think anyone would try putting one of the preserved steam locos which use the station over it.

Reply to
David Jackson

Visited their show today, though Fareham was very busy with other things going on, well worth the time, clubs layouts looking good, even the WIPs (why do so many people refuse to show a WIP, I learn something new everytime I watch others building/wiring layouts).

Bought a few bits from the traders, not too busy so really friendly, unlike some larger shows, might even go back tommorow with the boys!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger