Isolating Track

I need to build my own isolating track as it needs to be on a slight bend. This is due to the way i have set up my crossover and points system. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Reply to
<someone

Jon,

is due to the way i have set up my crossover and points system.

What kind of track are you using?

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Jon,

is due to the way i have set up my crossover and points system.

What kind of track are you using?

Jim.

Bit of a mixture between peco and hornby 00 gauge.

The piece of track i need to be able to isolate is an Hornby R605

Jon

Reply to
<someone

Jon,

The easiest method may be to remove a metal rail joiner close to where you want to isolate and replace it with an insulated joiner (from Peco). You might have to carve some clearance for the insulated joiner in the plastic sleepering since it is a bit thicker than the metal variety.

If you haven't got a rail joint close to where you want it, then make one by cutting the track and re-joinign it with insulated rail joiners. Use a fine saw for this - like an Exacto razor saw - or rail cutting clippers. You will also have to cut the plastic sleeper base about to give clearance to the rail joiners.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

It is hornby/peco 00 gauge. The bit of track i need to put the isolator on is hornby R606

Jon,

is due to the way i have set up my crossover and points system.

What kind of track are you using?

Jim.

Reply to
<someone

Slightly different method to Jim's. I assume the track piece is a solid base, not a piece of flexible track.

Cut the rail which needs to be isolated about half way along the piece of track. Cut with a rasor saw, a piercing saw or (with care) a thin grinding disc in a minidrill. Cut clean through the rail, but try not to cut the plastic track base.

If worried about the rail stability after cutting, use a small amount of araldite on the outside of the rail, and against a couple of adjacent chair mouldings (again outside of rail).

If you find the adjacent track causes the gap to close up, then araldite a sliver of either paper or plastic into the gap, carefully trimming inside the rails after all is set to ensure nothing projects which could hit wheel or wheel rims.

Reply to
NC

I also do as Jim suggests.

I keep a small plastic jar with screw top lid on the layout. Every time a piece of flex track is cut the offcut goes in the jar. When it comes to making up a siding or elsewhere where short lengths are required I always have a range of sizes available.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Robson

I have a problem. I need to build / make a Isolating piece of track on a slight bend (therefore cannot use the standard hornby etc. item.

Im using 00 gauge mixture of Hornby and Peco track.

The Isolator needs to go on a Hornby R606.

ANy ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
<jon