Atlas custom-line remote turnouts

Hi,

I built a layout back in the 70s, and used Atlas custom-line nickel silver remote turnouts. These have insulated auto switching powered frogs, and the cool remotes that automatically turnoff power when they have reached their end of travel, so I was able to use simple slide switches to control them. Are these out of production, if so, for how long? I can't find any references to them on

Any suggestions on where I might get a couple more, and what I might (gasp) have to pay for them?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul

Charles Kimbrough

I don't recall that the Atlas turnouts of any kind had automatic cutoffs for the switch power. The slide switches that Atlas had were of the push to contact variety which is probably what you are thinking of. You push the switch slider down as you move it and the power is routed to the switch machine and when you lift your finger off of the slider, the power is disconnected. AFIK (haven't looked at their site) that particular slide switch should still be available. I will note that Atlas, along with most of the other turnout makers, have widened the turnout gauge to the limit of the spec for gauge and thus you can get turnouts that are way out of gauge and they often need repairs to bring them into compliance with the gauge spec at a minimum.

Bob May

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Seems that for awhile Roco made Atlas turnouts that had polarity switched frogs. Roger Aultman

Bob May wrote:

Reply to
Roger Aultman

Yup, those are the ones: "Custom-Line Supreme", except I have the nickel-silver variety. Bought them in 1977.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

There is a striking resemblance between my turnouts and the current ROCO motors, I'll bet thats it. Thanks.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for the info. It's been 40 years since I bought a turnout. I've built all of mine since, even in code 40 rail. It is so much cheaper and I get a much better turnout by making them myself. On the other hand, I do invest about 4 hours from start to running for each turnout but that is part of the reason for the hobby, isn't it (using time with the hands and relaxing the brain?).

Bob May

Bob:

A much better turnout? How many more people show up?

Cordially yours: Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

I can't escape the image of a crowd of transgendered Frenchmen.

Reply to
Steve Caple