Atlas Gold Series

Everyone,
I treated myself to two brand new shiny Atlas Gold series 8-40CW NS locomotives for Christmas. This is my first plunge into sound. The
dual mode decoders are great because I have yet to switch over to DCC (in about 6 weeks). One thing I have noticed is that the locomotives pause when they hit the insulated frogs on Atlas switches. I think this is because in DC mode they look for voltage drops and reverse polarities on the track voltage to signal things like horns, bells, programming mode and such. Is anyone else running them and seeing the same thing ? I would suspect most of you would be running them on DCC.
For that I am looking at the Digitrax SuperChief 5A radio system. Anyone have any comments pro or con ? I plan to buy an extra 5A booster to run one set of blocks and use the one included in the starter set for the other set of blocks. Feedback is welcome.
Jeff
We have NCE at the club I belong to. We are set up for radio, from what I under stand, Digitrax radio does not offer the ability to select a locomotive over the radio. You have to select while pluged in. NCE does allow you to do all operations from a Procab with radio option.
Everyone,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I treated myself to two brand new shiny Atlas = Gold series 8-40CW NS <BR>&gt; locomotives for Christmas.&nbsp; This is my first plunge into sound.&nbsp; The <BR>&gt; dual mode decoders are great because I have yet to switch over to DCC <BR>&gt; (in about 6 weeks).&nbsp; One thing I have noticed is that the locomotives <BR>&gt; pause when they hit the insulated frogs on Atlas switches.&nbsp; I think this <BR>&gt; is because in DC mode they look for voltage drops and reverse polarities <BR>&gt; on the track voltage to signal things like horns, bells, programming <BR>&gt; mode and such.&nbsp; Is anyone else running them and seeing the same thing ?&nbsp; <BR>&gt; I would suspect most of you would be running them on DCC.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; For that I am looking at the Digitrax SuperChief 5A radio system.&nbsp; <BR>&gt; Anyone have any comments pro or con ?&nbsp; I plan to buy an extra 5A booster <BR>&gt; to run one set of blocks and use the one included in the starter set for <BR>&gt; the other set of blocks.&nbsp; Feedback is welcome.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Jeff<BR>&gt;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

Considering that operation (selecting your train) usually only needs to be done once per operating session, and having to plug in helps keep you from "accidentally" selecting someone else's train, it's hardly a hardship.
What range does the NCE radio system offer? Digitrax' maximum radio range is well over 200 feet under optimum conditions.
--
Evaluating all GUIs by the example of Windows is like evaluating all cars
by the example of Yugos.