Re: Need a tip for N scale switch please...

... I currently have a layout on foam and operate my switches

>manually. My "switch throws" are actually very big (about the size of >a person in n scale!) Any ideas for something more prototypical other >than under the table? Thank you..

Well, how about using a slide switch? Just connect a piece of wire to the plastic slide tab (usually drilling through it works best...) and, with appropriate bends, run it in/under/through/around things to the turnout. I've done this with my Bend Track module and been very happy with the results.

You can make a small lineside building to cover the black slide if it bothers you, and move the building back and forth to operate the turnout. I use Atlas code 55 track and turnouts, and by using a DPDT slide switch I can not only change polarity on my turnout frogs, but I've also scratchbuilt some dwarf signals to indicate turnout position (using surface mount LEDs).

Mounting the throws was easy... once I got the slide switch wired electrically, I cut a hole in the foam that was a "press fit" for the switch, then threaded the wires through and out the bottom. A bit of tape there to seal the bottom of the hole, then fill the hole about 3/4 with hot glue and press the slide switch in place. Fast and easy... and it insulates your wiring, too!

-- "Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." - Favius Vegetius Renatus, De Rei Militari

Reply to
Joe Ellis

I am laying n atlas code 55 and am tackling the same problem. I figure I can disguise DPDT switches pretty easily.

What type of wire are you using for the throw? Is it cool to run the throw wire under other trackage, i.e. between the ties/under the rail? Do you have to bend it a certain way to account for the differences in the travel distance of the DPDT switch and the turnout points?

tia

-TG

Reply to
Tim Gill

I am actually using manual switches... what does "DPDT" stand for?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Miller

Kevin, This is the main reason that many model railroaders use the term 'turnout' for the switch track. DPDT stands for Double Pole Double Throw. This is a toggle switch with six contacts underneath. It can be used as a reverseing switch if wired correctly. It can also be used to control Tortoise motors or other stall type motors. Using it as a switch throw is another way that it can be employed and it includes frog polarity and signal ability as well.

If you look at the bottom of hte toggle, you will see three pairs of connectors, either screw or solder or wire wrap, in a row. Like this:

_ _ _ _ _ _

To use it as a turnout control, electrically, place one stock rail wire to the top left contact and the other stock rail contact to the top right contact. Wire the top center contact to the frog.

If you want to add a signal(s), then wire the bottom center contact to one terminal of your lighting power supply. The bottom left goes to one bulb/LED, and the bottom right contact goes to the other bulb/LED. The two leftover wires from the bulb/LED's get wired back to the other terminal on your lighting power supply

If you need further clarification, just ask.

Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Well, I used stainless steel leader wire (from fishing) for the wire. Short lengths are still stiff enough for this kind of application.

I do run the wire under the track... in fact, the wire I used was thin enough I just poked it through the Woodland Scenics foam roadbed like a needle to get to the second line. I usually put a "Z" bend in the wire to allow for the different throw distances.

Reply to
Joe Ellis