Is Atlas track any good?

I've noticed that Atlas track is the least expensive out there. Is it any good? I'm thinking about the N scale. Thanks. Max.

Reply to
Max Coynes

Max,

Atlas code 80 N scale track is average. The flex is priced good and decent, but the turnouts are below par(IMHO). However, their code 55 trackage is quite nice. Peco trackage is very good, and they have a wide selection of turnots sizes, but it is more expensive!

Jim Bernier

Max Coynes wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

I use Atlas flex track and turnouts with Caboose ground throws on my N scale layout. I have been very happy with my track. Once it is laid, weather it and it looks great.

Reply to
Gregory Coats

Atlas has made a name for itself for reliable track systems. Some folks like other more realistic track (that often costs more). Atlas has a great selection at good price.

Reply to
Corelane

If Atlas made better switches (I dislike their floppy points which seems to cause electrical and mechanical (derailing) problems over time), I'd use their code 83 flex track all the time. Their ties are narrower than others (Pilz, Walthers/Shinohara, etc.) and to my eye looks better and more to scale.

But their turnouts are so unreliable that I can't use them.

If you can deal with their turnouts, they are DCC ready as is, but with a dead frog in the Superswitch and Custom line. Soldering to the frog to liven it up is problematic.

I prefer Pilz Elite turnouts, but they look European in their tie placements and detail.

Railway engineering turnouts are probably the best, though pricy, and if you don't use wood ties everywhere, they will sort of stand out.

Ed

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com, Corelane at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote on 12/7/03 6:09 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Ed,

Trying to solder to the frog is a lost cause. I tap the little round hole along side the frog(1-72, IIRC) and run a screw up from the bottom, a good electrical connection. I also peen the rivits/tabs on the points so that they have a good firm electical connection. I use Tortoise or a choke cable turnout control and get good firm action with the points. I do dress up the points with a small file as they are rather 'blunt'. The price of their code 83 is very good and I love their code 83 flex track Most of my turnouts are not powered by Tortoise machines, and do not have the frog wired. With the new generation of good engines with all wheel pickup, I have no problems creeping through the switches........

Jim Bernier

"Edward A. Oates" wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

Disagree. Several of our group got the Railway Engineering turnouts and installed them. We are quite good at building and installing turnouts such that craftsmanship and ability is not an issue. The machines are awful. Oh, they look great as long as they are just a static display. They do not function worth a damn. Scratchbuilding turnouts is better than using R.E.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

In what way did you have problems with them. I've got a couple installed with Builders-in-scale switch motors and they work OK for me. I did find that Tortoise machines were not strong enough to maintain sufficient pressure on the points.

Ed.

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.east.earthlink.net, Captain Handbrake @ Atlantic Coast Line.com at Captain Handbrake @ Atlantic Coast Line.com wrote on 12/10/03 9:54 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates