Major Stretch of Prototype???

Your opinions please .... below the dotted line, I have attempted to describe the layout design I am drafting.

I have collected an assortment of engines [ATSF, BNSF, and BN as my primary RR's ..... the UP and the SP as my secondary RR's] that range from E's and F's to a Dash 8-40B with several era representations in between [SD60's, GP38, GP9's]. And, to make matters worse, I feel that a Cab Forward purchase is unavoidable given how much I like this particular engine. I think I need model railroad psychiatric counseling.

I realize the steam engine addition really stretches the believability, and I know that many folks advocate the theory that "it's your railroad so do what you like."

But, my questions are:

1) how do each of you view such a wide range of eras being represented on a fictitious model railroad - one that will focus heavily on operations w/ yard switching, and branch line interchanges as the major emphasis in the track design?

2) should I also construct bridges, buildings, and use road vehicles that span a similar era representation?

3) should I mix all of these era conflicts throughout the entire layout vs isolating eras to certain track locations?

----------------------------------Layout Draft----------------------------------------

Assume the image of a hockey rink with the nets at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock. Hidden staging [located where the Zamboni machine parks in the rear of the building] feeds the major, ATSF train yard that resides at the 6 o'clock location [it'd be a peninsula reaching out onto the ice beyond the goal crease]. The ATSF circles the entire ice rink in either direction meandering through the stands. The UP/SP runs along the boards from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock via the 3 o'clock direction [counter clockwise]. The BN runs along the boards from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock via the 9 o'clock direction [clockwise]. Both the UP/SP and the BN are restricted to a point to point scheme staying on their side of the rink [along the boards]. The ATSF runs around the entire clock face in either direction, but the ATSF is not allowed to travel along the boards [on either the BN or the UP/SP rails]. The ATSF must stay on the main line rails that run through the stands.

Hopefully, this makes some sense ... ;-)

My intention is to create a model railroad that highlights the ATSF as the main line distributor. The ATSF will receive trains from hidden staging [arriving at 6 o'clock]. These arriving trains will be 'classified' in a large yard [note the rare but impressive use of 'train lingo' throughout my writing ;-)]. 'Outbound' trains will exit the yard under ATSF power heading north [toward 3 o'clock] or heading south [toward 9 o'clock]. Northern ATSF traffic will then 'interchange' cars with the UP/SP [a 'branch line' RR whose interchange yard resides at the

5 o'clock position]. Southern ATSF traffic will interchange cars with the BN [a branch line RR whose interchange yard resides at the 7 o'clock position]. The ATSF will run the outside, mainline rails circling the entire layout. The UP/SP and the BN will run the inside lower rails [along the boards]. The UP/SP and the BN will interchange cars at a shared interchange yard at the 12 o'clock location. The ATSF does not have access to the 12 o'clock location. It travels on elevated track from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock [a clockwise reference] before leveling out at both 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock [the two previously described interchange yards for the, lower level, branch line RR's].

That's the premise. I am trying to incorporate a lot of switching, car exchanges, and waybill activity. Likewise, the ATSF, elevated main line will allow for some longer trains [14 cars or more] to ride the rails vs the shorter trains [8 cars and less] that I envision on the branch lines. The PFE [Pacific Fruit Express] hauled by the Cab Forward would arrive from hidden staging, it'd have access to the ATSF yard at 6 o'clock, and its priority status would allow it to pass through the yard w/o stopping as it heads towards the UP/SP, 5 o'clock, interchange yard. Other such trains could be created/added to an operating session to add some interesting conflicts on the rails. Passenger trains would be the ideal additions for such conflicts given that the RR's emphasis is freight delivery.

I now have to contemplate the wide range of eras being represented [mostly by the engines at this point]. Along the clock face at each hour location there are businesses and etc. to be serviced by the various RR's involved. When traveling between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock [in a clockwise direction], there are two track levels thus offering servicing locations on both levels [the top/elevated level is served by the ATSF] and the bottom level is served by either the BN or the UP/SP depending on which side of 12 o'clock we're at. I am leaning toward the idea that era mixing throughout the layout would be the most natural approach. That way, an F7AB parked at a siding with a DASH 8-40B sitting nearby might not be as eye popping. I'm still not sure about that Cab Forward unless I model the Sacramento Train Museum as a delivery point.

The plan also calls for some peninsulas to be added which would reach out onto the ice. Those individual peninsulas would allow me to be creative in ways that I can have a throw back logging region with a Shay, a throw back mining region with a Heisler, and a water front area [one of my personal favorites when pictured in the train magazines]. All of these peninsulas would include small interchanges for either the BN or the UP/SP to interact with these locations.

Well, anyways, that's the thought process that has kept me happily occupied for quite some time. I have no clue if it will ever fully materialize, but the planning process is actually very relaxing and quite enjoyable. I do plan to build it in modules thus assuring the creation of some parts of this final design.

Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Psychiatric counselling? Is your hobby destructively affecting your family relationships, employment, home? No? You're a model railroader, damit, you're supposed to feel this way!

Get real - those Diesels stretch believability, STEAM is real!

Been there, done that! For me, attempting to model an ever more specific, although semi-fictitious location has chased away the out of region locos. I justify a collection of various eras by changing the layout year from time to time.

Consider slot in structures that are era specific. If you chose one that is broadly suited to various eras you can build the others later.

Personally, era conflicts irritate the hell out of me!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Amen. I used to have stuff from the late 1800s to today, just because I liked it. Then I realized how much I was spending trying to get everything I wanted.

I finally distilled it down to one locale (east Texas) and one primary railroad (Rock Island), and one era (1955-1965). This allows me to have SP, ATSF, MP/TP, and KCS, plus some logging roads. It covers late steam, plus first and early second generation diesels.

Having said that, it's YOUR railroad; you don't have to justify it to anyone.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I still keep a few of out of character models "just because I like them" but I find that these tend to be targets of swaps or funding drives when I want the new 'xyz' just released. There are always those interchange trials or fan trips or ... to semi-justify the appearance of ...

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

LOL! ME TOO! I have a set of three Kato Dash 9-44CWs in ATSF Warbonnet.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

At least we can agree on that

Reply to
Steve Caple

What about "She who must be obeyed"? :)

Reply to
Whodunnit

I used to be somewhat concerned with this. I've been a member of a couple of clubs and visited quite a few others where the attitude was "run what you brung." The yards and the mainlines would be filled with

4-4-0s to the latest super diesels and everything in between side by side. The members and the visitors all seemed to have fun so I don't think it's much of a concern.
Reply to
Rick Jones

Matt=A0wrote: Your opinions please .... below the dotted line, I have attempted to describe the layout design I am drafting. I have collected an assortment of engines [ATSF, BNSF, and BN as my primary RR's ..... the UP and the SP as my secondary RR's] that range from E's and F's to a Dash 8-40B with several era representations in between [SD60's, GP38, GP9's]. And, to make matters worse, I feel that a Cab Forward purchase is unavoidable given how much I like this particular engine. I think I need model railroad psychiatric counseling. I realize the steam engine addition really stretches the believability, and I know that many folks advocate the theory that "it's your railroad so do what you like."

---------------------------------------------------- If it looks right in your eye, I mix 'em up. I mix eras, railroads, locomotives, car types, and structures that appeal to my eye.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Although our politics may differ greatly, we can agree on some things!

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:11:13 UTC, Matt & Kathleen Brennan wrote: 2000

I picked the steam/diesel transition era on the Espee (1955-1956) for my time frame. I based it primarily on the freight cars I like. I don't care for modern freight cars at all. The locos followed. I am not as faithful to the era as I could be WRT paint schemes but most of the rolling stock is correct. This also fits in with my memories of California since I bugged out in 1954.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

Run the steam engine on a "fan trip" on your railroad!!! That would make it highly appropriate for mixing it with the modern diesels.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Thanks everyone.

There was a nice range of opinions and practices regarding 'train era' management and purchasing practices. I think I will stay the course with operating engines ranging from the 1950's through the present day by constructing and installing scenery and track side details that target a look and a feel of progress: [locating site specific relics in and around more modern facilities and structures].

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Exactly - I model Japanese with the latest (and early) freight and shinkansen running . But I also have some Burlington diesels and hi-level commuter cars (because I'm nostalgic for my youth in Chicago), a couple of pre-WWII German streamlined steam engines and matching passenger cars (because they look neat), and other assorted US, French, Brit, etc., stuff. I justify them as being part of a wealthy industrialist's private railway collection that is now being used for special fantrips, advertising, etc when I want to move them out.

It's really amazing what you can do on a 3-4 door layout. Still trying to come up with something a bit more permanent but since my winning Powerball ticket hasn't shown up yet....

Edvardo

Reply to
Edvardo

The way you really ought to do it is to model a location. In that instance, era doesn't play a big role in it.

For me, I'm working on modelling a pass in the Cascades. I can run nearly any road that crosses the Cascades (E/W). The location is relatively generic, but since I'm a GN modeller, I can run GN from the 1900s to BNSF today, since the line is almost exactly the same (at least from 1929 onwards).

Regarding steamers, there's always the possibility of historical steamers operating fan trips. That gets the occasional steamer onto the main line, presuming your management is keen for that sort of stuff....

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)