Weathering a Shay

Can someone direct me to a website with photos of a well-weathered 3-truck Shay?

Thanks/Carter

Reply to
Carter Braxton

Try

- lots of Shay and other geared loco images. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

Nice link, thanks. Personally, I think US Locos look like crap, but I love the Shays,esp after a trip to Cass WV Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Weathering kind of depends upon how well the engineer admires his loco and wants to keep it clean. Mostly a light white wash from the steam dome fittings from the boiler cake, hand prints on handrails and a light spray of thin black across the top will do for most locos. For heavier weathering, flat black paint instead of semigloss paint is a start along with the above. Oil (if it is an oil burner) slopped over the top of the tender will be in order along with more of general weathering with very dirty wood on the walkways showing wood through the paint (or not even painted and dark crud on the walking part) and so forth. Only the worst of owners never really cleaned their locos and those locos quickly died from plain ol' mechanical problems in general.

Bob May

Why pray tell do you think US locos look like crap? Is it because they don't have all that chrome and (choke..gag...puke) BUFFERS on them? To me NOTHING looks better than a 2-8-4 racing a 4000 ton train loaded with perishables at 60-80 MPH, or a big 2-6-6-6 rolling 160 car loads of coal. Want colored lokies, how about a GN S1 painted in green with red on the cab roof. Maybe an NC&SL Dixie class 4-8-4 pulling a heavyweight set of cars, or an SP GS-4 racing the San Joaquin Daylight though the valley at 80 plus miles per hour, hmmmmm not enough? A Southern PS-4 4-6-2 pulling the Crescent, an N&W J class 4-8-4 pulling the Powhatton Arrow, Milwauk. 4-6-4 Baltic in streamlined shrouding. Want BIG power..........SP-4-8-8-2 AC classes, UP 4-8-8-4, DM&IR 2-8-8-4, GN R-2 2-8-8-2......................the list goes on and on. Am I getting through here? If you had seen 3 SP cab-forwards start a heavy freight out of Roseville toward Sparks NV like I did as a kid, you just might have a better appreciation for US steam. But hey I love the Canadian and Mexican steam power as well. We Do agree on one thing though, Cass WV is fun to go to and ride behind the Shay's.

John

"Rob Kemp" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
John Franklin

Hey there if you model a Shay that's coal fired remember to get lots of cinders on the top.

Reply to
John Franklin

Actually, relatively few shays were coal fired. Most were wood or oil fireed. Remember that in the woods, wood was baically free as the limb scrap had to go somewhere. Coal was mostly used in the east on general railroads and mining roads.

Bob May

I believe that the Mower lumber company used coal fired Shays, now known as the Cass Scenic. Yes coal is more prevalent in the east part of the US.

Reply to
John Franklin