Precision anchoring into concrete?s

I am needing to anchor some 2x2x3/16 thick pieces of angle to concrete. They are to be the track for a sliding assembly that has
large (12in diameter) rolls. This all holds varying diameters of steel tanks up to 8 foot, 1/2 wall to be welded. The angle is going to be 8 foot long. There are going to be at least 4 pieces of angle I want to be as parrallel as possible for the casters to ride on. Part of the problem is when setting down there very heavy tanks they are possibly putting a lot of strees on things as they are put down withoverhead lift. The length of travel is 3 feet. I'm going to weld tabs on end of angle with holes and am afraid that the clearance I need in their holes will allow for movement. But I need holes to aligne. Can I drill oversize holes in concrete and put anchors into some sort of apoxy after aliging? I plan to weld all angles together if it works ok. I thought of making a bushing to go into my holes in the angle to get concrete drill started on center. Then taking this out and drilling size for anchors.

Put down 3/4" or 1" Steel plate anchored to the concrete, then bolt your angle to that. First advantage is that you spread the load on the angle out over a larger area of floor. Second is that you can at first slot the angle holes slightly for precise alignment, then you can spot weld it in place to prevent movement.
--
Anthony

My choice! you could probably skip bolting the angle to the plate, and just weld it. Greg

I've had good luck with this using a Hilti or "Red-head" bolt. Hammer drill the hole in, set the bolt, and then locate precisely to that. Depends on your load and direction of your forces of course.
Dave Hinz
Dr. Butter wrote:

Not so easy! Two solutions: 1.) Make a frame that fixes your tracks in the desired distance. Use that frame to keep your tracks while poring the concrete. 2.) Drill holes and bolt some plates into the concrete. Lay your rails over the plates, align and shim to your needs and weld the rails to the plates.
HTH, Nick
--
Measure twice, cut once.
Or use YADRO:

Put it together, get it all lined up and drill through the holes (of suitable size in your plates and tabs) for "redheads" which are a line of expanding screw anchors that may be installed right though the hole in the plate.
http://www.ramset-redhead.com/RH/redselec01.asp
Look for "trubolts" in the above selection guide.
85% of American industry is bolted to the slab with these. They come in all sizes and lengths.
Gunner, machine tech and installer
Political Correctness
I've used the bushing trick, and it works reasonably well, but depending on how large your first hole is and the drill fro the nachor, the holes can still wander a little. I'm not sure how preceise you need things, but this is a tricky problem. All I was doing was mounting steel adjustable shelf "standards", and they didn't come out as close as I would have liked.
Doug White

I've installed just enough bolts in concrete to be considered dangerous. Drilling the hole, to me, is the biggest problem. On all occasions aside from one, I've used one of those questionable designed impact drills, which will drill the hole, but are, at best, a complete PITA to use compared to a Hilti, which will locate the hole where you want it, and drill it in record time. Bottom line------if you want the holes where they belong, try to use a good gun to drill the holes. I recommend a Hilti, even if you have to rent one.
No, I'm not affiliated with Hilti-------I just don't much like those cheap impact guns.
Harold
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:54:24 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"

Either use a hilti or grout/hydraulic cement/epoxy the anchors into roughly located oversize holes made with a lesser tool.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ditto on the Hilti gun. While installing a half dozen cnc machines in a new plant, we went through 2 hammer drills,(good ones) just trying to drill a half dozen holes. We said, screw that and since we had to order a bunch of the epoxy hilti bolts anyway, they threw in the gun when I ordered the bolts for next to nothing. The hilti gun almost falls through the concrete compared to a hammer drill :-)
Using these "Redhead" along with bolting them to a flat bar and then welding the angle after aligning seems like the perfect solution. I just hope they don't get the idea I know what I am doing when I go in to work with this perfect solution. that only leads to more things I know nothing about that I am supposed to do. thanks for all the help. Rosco
The only other suggestion is to increase the size of your angle. 3/16th is very light. I would try for at least 2 X 2 X 1/4 or even 3/8th Tanks are always heavier than the previous one you built. If the concrete floor had not been poured locating flush plates imbedded in the concrete allows all kinds of things to tacked to the floor. No fancy drilling. Randy
Using these "Redhead" along with bolting them to a flat bar and then welding the angle after aligning seems like the perfect solution. I just hope they don't get the idea I know what I am doing when I go in to work with this perfect solution. that only leads to more things I know nothing about that I am supposed to do. thanks for all the help. Rosco
"Dr. Butter" wrote:

That is probably the easiest best way. IF you do happen to get it in the wrong place, just grind off the welds and move it.
John
Dr. Butter wrote:

I prefer using brass dowels. Cheaper and good enough. like these: <http://www.rangertravel.de/shop/popup_image.php?pID 50>
Nick
--
Measure twice, cut once.
Or use YADRO:

Hey Nick,
Funny thing about your reply.............
Microsoft was bugging me about IE 7, and earlier today somebody said IE 7 was OK, so I loaded it when it reared it's ugly head again this afternoon. It's easier to load this crap than keep answering "NO" or "LATER".
So just a minute ago, I clicked on the link in your reply to have a look at the "brass" inserts (can't pass up a chance to look at ANYTHING brass)!!
The pix came up while I was looking at something else in the computer room, and by the time I looked at the monitor again, there was some sort of a drop-down from MS or IE 7 in the middle of the screen, asking me to send them a note about whether of not this was a "PHISHING" problem. I just cancelled, but it was kinda funny. I wonder where the heck they got a filter or criteria that would pop this up, other than the origination being "off shore" (to me..not you)
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
Brian Lawson wrote:

Next time I want to attract your attention, I'll write "TONS OF BRASS" in the subject line. :-)
Are these inserts common to you? We use them a lot (yes, also the overprized hi-tech-bolts).

Fishing? Oh, they wanted to suggest you to buy Fischer-dowels! :-)) [Fischer is German of fisher. Fischer is *the* manufacturer of plasic dowels in Europe (and by chance the inventor)]
Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

Please don't. I might hurt myself getting to the keyboard!!

Yep, common enough. Mostly used as inserts for plastic bases, where the insert may be visible through the material.

Nope....it was questioning whether your "email" might be a phishing expedition type of thing. I don't believe that the name, in German or English, whether Fisher or Fischer, would get the phishing/spam watchdog within Internet Explorer very excited. I don't know what it was of course, but I doubt it was that.
Brian
Brian Lawson wrote:

I forgot to add a ":-)" Here it is!

It was nothing "fishy" at all.
Nick
--
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

Fishing is off-topic in a metalworking discussion group. Kindly refrain from posts of this nature, or have the manners to include an OT marker in the subject line. Either would be just fine.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Did I talk about fishing or Fischer and dowels?
Nick
--
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***