Anbody turn carbide?

We have a bunch of C-2 micrograin carbide pins that need to be shortened by .06 to .08. The diameter is .25. What should be used to face these? Ceramic? Diamond? Or should we just have them ground? Help me look good here guys! :-)

Reply to
gbennett

I would stick them in a jig and do it on a surface grinder. I would also wear a dust mask while grinding.

Reply to
Polymer Man

Use a very thin diamond cut of wheel. Low RPM or you'll burn the diamond

Lapidary wheels (for working with stones/minerals) work real well.

Mark

Reply to
MM

Option #3, have them ground, preferrably by a reputable carbide grinding house. They already have the equiptment to accomplish what your looking for.

Good luck Darrell

Reply to
reidmachine

G:

I sure hope you're not thinking of doing this in a CNC lathe. Since it's probably not such a hot idea having carbide dust mixed in with your coolant which splashes on your ways. Even on a manual lathe you should cover the ways and any other precision sliding surfaces. Like others have suggested, surface grinding would probably be the operation of choice.

Reply to
BottleBob

Turned? Haha! With what? Carbide? Set it up in a fixture and grind them in an ordinary surface grinder using diamond wheel. Metal bond, diamond holds up better. JS

Reply to
Protagonist