Carbide Inserts TNMG and TCMT

Upto now I've been using homeground HSS tools, but having turned (pardon the pun) to machining some cast iron pulleys, finally resorted to carbide tipped tools. Now I'm hooked.

When are TNMG style tips best and when are TCMT the ones to use?

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The TCMT are positive rake and are usually more suited to home sho

use.

Negative inserts need more grunt to use properly but are stronger.I'v never tried any negative rake on my Myford and other peoples mileag may vary.I use the TCMT inserts and up to now I've found the Sandvi ones are best for me.

I mostly use HSS tooling,but the carbide inserts have their uses a times.I used one yesterday to turn a rubber hockey puck down to use o a model engine starter,I had more success with the tip than HSS.

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile:

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

Good question

I hope someone can explain what the letters mean. I've just got some old tipped tools, and was told SNMG would suit, but that meant nothing to me. Presumably part is the shape of the cutting edge and part is the material, though I think I have a tip with CR10 or similar on it which may be a separate material designation (there are several different grades of carbide, plus other materials)..

It would be great to have some enlightenment.

Steve (also)

Reply to
Steve

Steve Hi, I found some excellent reading a couple of days ago on one of the tool suppliers pages but can't find it quickly. Have a look at this

it provides the basics for one system - if I can find the more comprehensive stuff I was reading I will post a link tomorrow.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Steve

If you have a bit (lot) of spare time have a look at this Sandvik Coromat Technical Information, it gives an excellent insight into the various inserts but you need to be on Broadband if you are as sad as me and download it for a bit of light reading!!

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Thanks for that, now the letters make some sense.

Back to the other Steve's original thread, and what tip to use for what ?

Reply to
Steve

Steve

This gives some advice on how to select different tips for various tasks/materials again only from one suppliers perspective but it is a start

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk