tungsten carbide and carbide

What is the difference between the a rod blank listed as carbide and one
listed tungsten carbide? Do both have tungsten, are they the same in
hardness?
Kori
Reply to
Kori
"Carbide" has become a generic term for tungsten carbide. There are other types of "carbide" metals, such as chrome carbide and others. There are also different grades of tungsten carbide. Most common differences deal with the amount of cobalt in the metal and the grain size.
If you have a very specific requirement for tungsten carbide you should order it from a dealer that can supply specific grades and types.
All of this is a simplification of "carbide", but I hope it is helpful.
Gordy
Reply to
Gordy
One of those metals is calcium. Unless you really want to generate acetylene, though, you probably don't want calcium carbide.
Gary
Reply to
Gary Coffman
Kori, are you getting my emails?
Todd L
Reply to
Todd L
Yes, I am getting them and sending response.
Kori
Reply to
Kori