tungsten carbide and heat

When I am making a tool bit out of tungsten carbide, do I have to keep it cool? Does heat change it's hardness, or does this just apply to tempered steel?

Kori

Reply to
Kori

Considering brazed carbide exists, I don't think you have to worry about that... Just don't cool it quickly (e.g. quenching) or you'll crack it. I'd guess either going full-bore or slowly with a water-cooled stone.

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

Reply to
Wayne Harris

Carbide grinding should be done very wet or dry. If you have intermittent cooling thermal shock will crack it.

I have had poor luck grinding brazed carbide toolbits with silicon carbide grinding(green) wheels. They cut slow and edge is pretty rough. Diamond wheels work very well.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

You don't have to keep it cool. It can glow red without suffering harm. However, a brazed-on carbide tool bit will fall apart long before it gets red, because the brazing material will melt.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You're okay up to dark cherry, normally, unless you're using a lot of force. I sometimes have to 'unbraze' stuff, and you need a LOT of heat. Mind you, I deal with large pieces, so that's going to colour my perceptions.

Reply to
Mike Graham