5.4mm end mill

I've been told that I can get a 5.4mm end mill for but cannot find one - is this a custom tool or is it generally available?

I'm in the UK and have checked the usual places such as Farnell, Chronos, etc.

Thanks,

Reply to
James

5.4 is definitely a special. Your local Tool and Cutter grinders should be able to lick a 6mm one down. Next bet is that 5.4mm is 0.2125" 7/32" is 0.218" Is that close enough?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

5.5mm, which is commonly available, is even closer (7/32 inch is 5.57mm).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Novice question - why would you want a "special diameter" end mill?

Best Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve

:) Its for some pressed fittings I need to use - the hole size is very specific and while I could probably get away with 5.5mm the closer I get to

5.4 the stronger the grip.

Reply to
James

I didn't think you could cut holes with end mills?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I have to make 5.4mm holes in 3mm plate to about 2mm in depth.

The fastening supplier (these are pressed into the hole/slot) recommended an end mill.

I was going to try and see if I can do this on an low-end industrial drill press as its just straight downward pressure but wasn't sure. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Reply to
James

oh ya - and its just 3mm aluminum - nothing too hard :)

Reply to
James

In article , James writes

You'll need to make sure that you get a centre-cutting end mill.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

The two-flute versions of which are know as slot-drills. Americans call them two-flute centre-cutting end mills - catchy, eh?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

One of the trade catalogue that I have sent here, did list endmills in .1mm increments in one of their flyers. I forget who it was now. possibly WNT.

Try WNT Technical Support on 0800 073 2 075 You may get lucky. or email snipped-for-privacy@wntuk.com

They are based in Sheffield.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

Unless your plate is clamped for each hole you can forget trying to work to

5.4mm. Using a slot drill on a drill press from a dead start is a no no, it will want to start where it likes and then rotate round the cutter.

It's just like trying to start a drill on a shiny surface with no centre punch mark

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

How about using a " butchered " 5.4 mm stub drill

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

----------

----------

August flyer they listed

5.3mm, 5.5mm, 5.75mm all priced at 3.95.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

I was thinking about this today and something twigged. - If I need a hole say 2mm deep could I use a drill bit to start the hole (if I can find one shallow enough only to go 2mm) and then use the end mill to 'square' the mitre off?

That way I could use the drill press and the end mill would have a guide.

Would that work?

Reply to
James

I would clamp the job to the drill table and use a slot dill reground to

5.4mm. I'm sure youd get away with 2mm deep on a drill press ? ethically wrong, but worth a try ! Bob
Reply to
Nospam

I actually ran some tests last night and the drill bits I have are almost exactly 2mm deep (from point to outer dia) so I can use that to set the hole - put the slot drill on after and 'flatten' it out. I think I'll try that as I have quite a few holes to do and that would make it go quick :)

Thanks for all the help!

Reply to
James