Oops..

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid 396

--
SVL

On Sat, 20 May 2006 13:08:40 -0700, "PrecisionMechanical"

Wat iz it wit amerikan planez and their canopiez?
http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=dbea8ea9-43af-46c4-b3f2-c9532ad012d9 & --
-JN-
On Sat, 20 May 2006 13:08:40 -0700, "PrecisionMechanical"

Why didnt he taxi out to the median and pull the T handle?
<G>
Gunner
"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."
- Onni 1:33
Gunner wrote:

Gunner:
    What if the canopy didn't release, and his seat ejected! Yikes <g>
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

http://www.ejectionsite.com/f104seat.htm
And the best for last....
http://www.gallagher.com/ejection_seat /
Gunner
"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."
- Onni 1:33

Generally one of the seat safetys is pulled out by canopy departing aircraft.
I just hope the pilot had a piss bottle.
Wes S

Hell, I'd have done a neater job with my sawsall.
Gunner wrote:

You mean besides that ejecting through a closed canopy has a nasty tendency to leave one's legs the cockpit?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Arnt explosive bolts supposed to blow the canopy away before the seat charge fires?
<G>
Gunner
"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."
- Onni 1:33
Gunner wrote:

If the design has explosive bolts for that purpose, and if they work.
Usually if the canopy opens up and back it's just opened and the airstream is allowed to rip it off.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net.invalid says...

The older seats had an extended part of the rail, along with a curtain to protect the ejectee, to bust the canopy in any circumstances.
In fact, the loud handles were near the top of the ejectee's head, and pulling the handles also pulled a protective curtain down over the top of the ejectee's head and face.
Newer, faster aircraft have the loud handles down near the thighs.
A partial ejection in most modern aircraft would certainly be fatal at speed.
I think the older method was better, but no one makes money using a proven design.
Yasnak Zeldfarb wrote:

It punched a hole, but acrylic doesn't shatter like glass and the seat didn't have anything that broke the canopy above the lower legs.

Which doesn't solve the leg problem.

The "proven design" was "proven" to do a number of things that were not good, leaving the pilot's legs in the cockpit after a through-the-canopy ejection being one of them.
A partial ejection is likely to be fatal regardless--one doesn't generally eject unless Very Bad Things have already happened to the aircraft.
If the newer seats can punch through the canopy without cutting off one's lower legs then they are better.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
PrecisionMechanical wrote:

1. Why the heck are they wearing flame suits? 2. Why are they using a chainsaw? Couldn't they have used a jigsaw instead? 3. And why does it take 4 firemen to get one pilot out?
ca

Union rules. Or OSHA.
Gunner
"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."
- Onni 1:33

Nah. What fireman would want to miss a gig like that? Also, when firemen break into something, the louder and messier the tool, the better. They're all about speed, not neatness, so they wouldn't even think of sawzalls, etc. Their mental framework is get the possibly dying victim out of the wreckage, NOW.
Pete Keillor
Government job. Haven't you seen about half a dozen state DOT workers all standing around with hard hats and watching 1 guy work. I'm still trying to figure out why they need hard hats just to spoon asphalt into a pothole.
Ken

Heck, I'm trying to figure out why I'm wearing a hard hat on a skyjack when all the turkeys that just have to walk by underneath me are not. I bet me bumping my noggin on a beam won't be as bad as them catching a pipe wrench from 15 feet up.
Wes S