NC Circa 1955

State of the art in 1955 -

(Popular Mechanics article) It's interesting to read the predictions of how the new technology would someday be used.

Four years later, you can program it with APT -

D Murphy

Curse you Dan! I spent too much time on that magazine. They have the equivalent of three years worth of articles in that one issue, compared to today's ratio of 6 pages of article and 145 pages of advertisements. Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Half-nutz

Half-nutz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@26g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:

LOL. Then you're going to hate this

(Pop Mech) All the issues from 1905-2005

(Pop Sci) All the issues from 1872-March 2009

Merry Christmas

Reply to
D Murphy

Yeah, I've wasted most of the afternoon browsing. I scrolled down and the article about Sharpstown brought a laugh or two. I grew up about 5 miles from the shopping center. It didn't come out quite like the rendering. And I don't recall any helicopter pads or heli-commuting. And the streets weren't quite as curved as the plans show. There were a few T ends, jog over a block type arrangements, but with a little practice you could get from Bellaire Blvd. to Old Richmond Road (before it was called Bissonnet) faster than going down Hillcroft.

Reply to
Alphonso

Alphonso wrote in news:Xns9CED90FEDB663alphonso@85.214.113.135:

Heh. Visions of the future rarely survive contact with reality.

But it's pretty cool having all those back issues on line.

Reply to
D Murphy