need a quote/ cnc indexing

Anybody interested in doing four pcs. of alum. 1" dia.,six" lg with a two thread per inch auger groove? Basicly, take a 1" alum round and drop a 3/8 endmill .187" deep to leave a core 5/8" in dia in the center, then cut a two thread per inch lead down the six inch length. The alum round can be turned to 5/8 dia for and inch or to for holding in collet. The auger web that is left is around 1/8 wide. Make sense? Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

Dixon:

Make sense? I don't know, is this sort of what you had in mind? Neat little part to program, if so.

BottleBob

Looks real close. Right now I have a prototype made from plastic with stereo lithography and it look the same. I could probably single point it on a manual lathe, but it would be a pain. Actually, the thread depth is differant on two of the pcs. The center shaft is 5/8 on two pcs. and 1/2 on the other two. Would this be best done on a cnc lathe or mill with indexing ability? If someone is interested in doing them I could ups the proto to you. Thanks Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

Dixon wrote: I could probably single point it on a

You could. I'd set the compound parallel to the ways and use a narrow tool to cut the groove. Start in the center of the groove then advance and retract the compound (on separate passes) to widen it as needed. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Randy, the lathe that I would have to use to get 2 TPI pitch has a 28" four jaw chuck. The piece is 1" dia and 6" long. I'm looking to farm it out if possible. If no one is interested, I'll probably try single point, but I think we're talking a LOT of passes. Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

Dixon:

I programmed it using a Fourth axis rotary. The toolpath was something like an angled 24" long line extending down in the Y axis and then it was "wrapped" around the part when rendered. I just did it as an mental exercise, since I don't often do this type of thing. But anyone with a Fourth axis should be able to make your parts without a lot of grief, (depending on the accuracy/tolerances you need).

Reply to
BottleBob

h was something

Give me a call, I love 4th ax work

Darrell

Reply to
reidmachine

"Dixon" wrote in news:sL6dnXwCftlVwVXanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

How many parts do you need? Tolerances? Piece of cake. E-mail me.

Reply to
alphonso