Anthony's IRC

Until Anthony can get his server back up and running, I'm hosting a fall back server for irc channel #CNC (Anthony set it up). At the moment my dns
isn't resolving and I don't own the dns server. Normally it is wess.mdns.org
So if you have been meaning to drop by and have not been able to find us, try /server 209.165.254.99
Wes
Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in

BTW, an update on mine. I still haven't found the cause of the issue I am having with that particular box. It runs fine for a day...or maybe 3...then everything just quits responding to any inputs...but it appears to be running. RAM doesn't seem to be the issue, as I've swapped around with different sticks and it still does it. I thought it might be getting hot..but I've done everything I can for that.....still no joy. Put a brand new P/S in it to see if the PS might have been causing the issue...no help.
Wes, In the meantime, I'm configuring another box to host the server, hopefully it should be back online sometime later today. If so, I'll try to set up a DNS to round-robin to your box, so connections to machines- cnc.net will also route to your box.
Along with trying to figure this box out, I've also had some serious networking issues I've been working on, and finally have resolved. My speed was less than 1/2 what it should have been, sometimes as sorry as <1 mb on a 6 mb connection. Couple of weeks ago, the phone quit working, phones were saying the line was in use, no dial tone, etc. Called phone company, dude was out next day (Saturday). Damn nice guy, btw. He started at the main switch building for our town (maybe 400 yds from my house, if that far). Traced the issue back to a line inside my house. The tech let me use his toner to trace which wire inside the house had the issue. It was the one going to my DSL modem....Aha!..speed issue found! (I thought). It showed a short (DSL was still working btw). So we swapped pairs on the line. This fixed the phone, but I still had speed issues..damnhit! So, next day I just pull a new cable from the house terminal to the modem, there was definitely an issue with the old one anyway, although the cable looked fine when I pulled it out. Hooked it up..tried it out..DAMNHIT!...still issues. The phone co had already sent me a new modem (for free) because they were seeing high bandwidth, and the old modem I had was wayyyy outdated. I didn't think that would make any real difference and to install it, I would have to reconfigure my entire LAN, so I hadn't installed it. I figured I would give it a go and see what happened. When I installed it, it did some testing of the WAN and LAN, came back and said there was a bad cable on the WAN side. Huh?....I just pulled in a BRAND NEW cable from the outside box right to the jack the modem plugs into....can't have an issue. So I unhook it..and ohm it out...it's perfect. Hrm....the only thing I haven't changed is the actual little phone cord going from the modem to the jack, that came with the first modem, many years ago. A new one came with the new modem so I swap it out...Volia`!!...modem passes all the tests with big green check marks and I'm getting 5.8 mb to Cali (2500+ miles). Damn...a lousy jack cable....of all things. Anyway, I unhook my computer from the modem and hook it back up to the router...damnhit!....3.2 mb is the fastest I can get now...WTF? Unhook from the rounter...go directly to the modem...5.8 mb.. Damn...that sux, the router is whacking speed. So..unlike the old modem, which was _just_ an ethernet modem and required the routers, the new modem has a built-in router, firewall, DNS server, packet filter, etc, but has only 1 ethernet port on the LAN side. Scrounging around on Geeks, I come across what I figure is a _deal_, a Netgear JSF524, 24 port 10/100 fast ethernet switch, with auto-uplink for $39.99...CHEAP for really good hardware. It arrived Wed. but it had set outside for probably most of the day wrapped in plastic where Fedex dropped it off. It got up to a nice balmy 24° with snow all day. It was so cold I was afraid to hook it up until it warmed up some, so I waited until Thursday to install. Took modems out, installed switch, configured modem router....... BANG...Amazing...5.8 mb on every computer on the LAN now. This has been an interesting trip... Now if I could just figure out WTF is going on with that other box....
--
Anthony

âś–

Wish I had an idea on this other than a bad motherboard, I think you covered everything else.

Atm my dns is working. The sysadmin in charge of mdns.org filtered out all ip's without a valid PTR record. Well that killed mine. I'll talk to the ISP providing dsl on Monday to see if they will fix their DNS. For now the Sysadmin at mdns.org rolled back his recent changes.

Don't feel bad. I wired up most of the facility I worked at many years a go with a crimper that wasn't properly crimping pin 1 on the rj45 connectors. Drove me nuts until I figured out what the random issues were coming from. Sucked having to recrimp but life was better after that. (Don't buy side crimpers!)
Wes
Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in

I'm beginning to wonder if it's software, as it sometimes hangs when it tries to boot, and gives odd errors some odd errors. It's running FC4, I think i'll update to FC8 and see what happens. I think I'll try this before I get too much into that other box, as it's an old PII box, and while it runs steady as hell, it is SLOW.
--
Anthony

âś–

FC8 is current, I just got around to upgrading to FC7. Are you still using the same harddisk? If so send me a message with a valid email via #CNC and I'll squirt a diagnostic program your way.
If you set the box up without KDE or Gnome it will be plenty fast just not as much fun to use.
Wes
Add pictures here
âś–
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in

No, not the same hdd, different box altogether. The problem box hung during FC8 install, I'm wondering if it's fub'r now. We'll find out shortly.
--
Anthony

âś–
Anthony wrote:

Speaking of boxes, I'm in the process of setting up a new one myself. A dual cpu dual core amd64 (Opteron) server[*] in a 1U chassis and I'm a bit concerned about air flow / cooling. Just a little while ago while digging through the FreeBSD ports collection of software for a cpu temperature monitoring program I found exactly what I was looking for, and also found this:
Port: tempcontrol-1.2 Path: /usr/ports/misc/tempcontrol Info: Temperature control for fermenting beer and other applications Maint: snipped-for-privacy@FreeBSD.org
I do believe for that application system stability is paramount. :)
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

"Are pirates an ethnic group? Or are they just people who burn
âś–

Hehe...nice...
My issue I believe is motherboard related. Specifically, I believe it's a bad connection near the RAM. Off and on I get the dreaded 3 beeps of memory error when I boot it. If I wiggle the RAM, most times it will boot. Then at some point between prior to OS load and 3-4 days of uptime later, it just hangs. The board is 5 years old or older, but it's an ASUS, shouldn't be having this issue.
--
Anthony

âś–

Soldering iron and magnifying lenses. Hit every connection on the bottom of the ram sockets.
you have cleaned up the card edge connectors of the ram with a bit of scotchbrite pad, right?
Gunner
Add pictures here
âś–
Anthony wrote:

Because it's an Asus it doesn't surprise me you're having problems. I can't offer any suggestions either, you've covered pretty much all the bases.
Over the past ~four years I've lost three Asus P4C800-E Delux mobos. The first we thought was from some over zealous over clocking. It crashed to a blank screen (skipped the BSOD) and never came back up. Turn it on and the fans and disks would spin up, but no beeps, no post, no disk seeks, no nothing.
So I bought another identical board to put in the system to get it back up as quickly as possible and sent the first back under warranty not really expecting Asus to fix or replace it because even though we couldn't see any charring I was sure they would say it was burned. Surprise. Got a another board back from Asus a few weeks later and the new one was running fine. 6-8 months or so later the 2nd board gave up. No over clocking this time but the same exact symptoms as the first.
Sent that board back under warranty and built a new Athlon 64 system on a MSI board to replace it. That system still rocks today. After that I had built a new (wasn't totally new, had to cannibalize a few old to make a new :) system on the first Asus board I got back from warranty. After about two years of use, last week, it crashed and burned just like the previous two did. Fuck. I don't have time for this!
The last board that got replaced under warranty I gave to one of the IT kids at the shop a few months ago. I don't know if he did anything with it yet, but he knows the ordeal I went through with these Asus boards and I suggested after this he just toss the thing.
Needless to say, even though their service was excellent, I'll never buy another Asus board again. Ever.
The machine I'm composing this post on is a 300MHz PII on an Abit (LX6 IIRC) board and it was built in mid '97. I can't remember how many hard disks I've replaced in the thing (too many) but other than that it has chugged away quite reliably all these years. Even has the original power supply. If I get as many years out of the Supermicro / Opteron I'm working on now, I'll be a happy camper.
--
Black Dragon http://improve-usenet.org

Well buggered was a boy named Delpasse
âś–
The 450 PII is on a Tyan 1854 board, the first board when I bought it in 98 was some off brand I can't even remember the name of. It died in Jan 2002 less than 1 minute after I electronically filed my taxes :/ I was just hoping beyond hope that they actually got sent. The tyan board has been running just fine since. This is the first ASUS board I've ever had an issue with.
--
Anthony

âś–