ON topic- parting off advice

Anyone have a speed & feed solution to parting off without the thin ring
left over. Doing a thin .08 washer, SS416. The ID is .315, and the
parting insert is .125 wide. Straight/neutral cut.
I am getting a thin .003-.005 ring, that needs to be broken off, and the
washer ID hand chamfered. I am getting really nice surface finish from
the parting tool, so I would prefer to know a parting method that
doesn't require a custom ground tool. I figure this problem has been
solved long ago..
ca
Reply to
clay
you need one with 8-15 degree angle.
You could grind what you have, but 8-15 angle inserts are not custom.
Reply to
Why
Clay, You need to have a part off insert that has angle on it. I've had good luck with these for smaller stuff:
I would think that you could get inserts with a similar angle on them for the blade that you are currently using. The reason I mentioned the above was for a washer your throwing away more material than your selling. That may not be an issue.
Best, Steve
Reply to
Garlicdude
An angle with a dead sharp point. I'd lean towards the 15 degree angle. On my Swiss, I use a 20 degree angle, with 18 degrees clearance (under). In fact, I also use C/O tools with the same geometry on my 5c gang lathe when I need to cut parts off clean.
Matt
Reply to
Matt Stawicki
Yep, I use a Iscar 15 degree 0 radius, but if I profile a chamfer I will hone a .002-.003 radius on it. I have re-ground some of them to 20-23 degrees like Mat.
Reply to
Why
If you are adverse to changing the part-off tool, chamfer the I.D. before parting off.
Reply to
Steve Walker
Great advice. thanks everyone, problem solved.
ca
Reply to
clay
You're cutting off an .08" part with a .125 tool? That seems ... somehow wrong to me.
Iscar and Kenametal have some nice .060 wide c/off tools.
Reply to
Tom Accuosti
So does Valenite........
Reply to
Mark Phillips
Tom, I use an Iscar .087 for up to 1 1/4" stock. I have plenty of their .122 C/off inserts but use the .087 most of the time.
Reply to
Why
tom,
Seemed wrong to me too....
Cutoff length is too long for my favorite narrow cutoff holder. I have .08 also, but wrong inserts....crappy backside finish with those inserts.
run is only 40 pieces so not worth the bother to optimize....
I would however like opinions/tricks for getting nice finishes on 416.
ca
Tom Accuosti wrote:
Reply to
clay