How to fit Sandvik QCut inserts?

Probably a dumb question (so I'll apologise at the start) but HTH do I get the sandvik coronant inserts into the QCut parting-off blade?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Try here.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Says cannot find server ?

Reply to
Nospam

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

You just push them in, and to be more secure lightly seat them with a nylon faced hammer.

Beware though, that these should be setup to be slightly above centre (2 thou or so) This ensures the insert wont pull out. You should also part off with a constant and fairly heavy feed for the same reason.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

On or around Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:10:53 GMT, Wayne Weedon enlightened us thusly:

Seems to be the case with most parting off. The biggest problems I've had with it are stopping part-way.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Even more so with these inserts as the cutting force is supposed to keep them seated. On centre and tool deflection will make them below centre and likely to unseat the insert.

Stopping partway is a symptom of either too high a tool, as I said these inserts require just 2 thou or 0.05mm above centre height. Or more likely insufficient or inconsistent feed, you really do have to keep the pressure on, and if parting to the centre of the bar it needs just that little extra push at the end ;)

I use both these inserts and the Hertel A2 clamped inserts on various machines, and probably get anything from 200-1000 pieces parted off per insert depending on material. Surface finish suffers much earlier though.

The hertel A2 insert in 1.6mm width would be very ideal for all the myford or other small lathe owners here. I use them on a big Hardinge especially on some thin disc like jobs I do.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

On or around Sat, 18 Nov 2006 23:26:55 GMT, Wayne Weedon enlightened us thusly:

I was talking about stopping the feed, but take your point about the tool - I've got an ordinary HSS blade, and it took a while and some sage advice from RCMetalwork to get it ground something like the right shape to work.

wherever practical I use the slowest power-crossfeed I've got. I forget what that is without going and looking at the machine; it's 1/4 the sliding feed rate.

Luxury beyond price, a machine with a decent gearbox and power crossfeed. Now, if I could find a way of power feeding the compound slide as well...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

crossfeed.

Austin,

I made up a simple adaptor to fit my power screwdriver, and go over the nut on the end of the topslide handle when I had to turn up a fair number of short tapers. Worked well and would have been even better if it had had a battery that would hold its charge

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Replying to my own post I know but...

Today I happened to be using the above A2 Inserts from Hertel on a job, so thought before I finished the batch I'd try to capture a quick vid showing how easy these inserts make parting off.

Insert is 1.6mm wide Material Stainless Steel 316 Job diameter 26mm, 2.5mm width Spindle speed 1255rpm

I'd normally do these on the CNC but it was busy on another job. So it was done on the trusty BUT dog of a Warco 1340 (poor taiwanese clone of a Harisson M300)

You can hear it start to sing a bit as it gets towards to middle, this is due to TOO SLOW a spindle speed at that diameter. The CNC with CSS speeds up as it gets to the middle, and cuts more smoothly.

I'd done about just over 100 pieces before this one.

Anyway the Vid is here

I'd recommend these inserts to anyone with a small lathe. Toolholders are available down to 12mm square. This holder is a 16mm positive clamp version.

I think the holders are about 50quid from J&L.

Wayne....

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

On or around Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:23:15 -0000, "Andrew Mawson" enlightened us thusly:

that's a neat idea, variable speed drill on the feed handle, but it needs to go quite slow, which of course the cordless ones tend to. low-speed cordless screwdriver would doubltess be better still.

with more money and time I'd put a stepper motor on it and invent a thing to drive it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:00:14 GMT, Wayne Weedon enlightened us thusly:

bloody hell, mine only does 1200 flat out, and to do that it's got to have been running long enough to get the oil warm. Mind, that's due to the motor being too small in part. Shows how things have moved on though. Mine was no doubt state of the art more or less when they designed it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks to one and all!

Dave