Open Office 2.0 Beta

Just downloaded and installed Open Office 2.0 Beta and have been playing around with it this morning. It has several improvements over 1.1, the most major of which, is the addition of dbase. You can now create databases, forms etc without having to install MySQL or another dbase application. You will need Sun Java JRE 1.4 or above (also free). The dbase works similar to Access, complete with wizards to help out. Nice!!! Open Office so far, has worked flawlessly with editing or creating documents that can be used in Microsoft Office. Seems that it will be a complete office solution in the very near future, and at a cost of $0, damn sure beats the hell out of $279 for MSOffice.

Anthony

Anthony, Thanks!

I did not see this post in OE but saw it in others.

Reply to
The Deburr Guru

Now, if I could only figure out how to get the language packs to work. You would think they would be able to make a real installer, or at least provide some reasonable instructions as to how to install them... Or maybe I'm just too dumb to figure it out. :-((

--Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

2 diff. severs, 3 fiff. readers = 1 result !!!!
Reply to
The Deburr Guru

I meant OE didn't see while others do

Reply to
The Deburr Guru

Cliff, Thanks!

Reply to
The Deburr Guru

Well, that was in the original Star Office ... but anyway.

Anthony, there was talk that OO would be split into separate components instead of remaining stuck in that god-awful MDI crap. Did they do that ? Or is it still a miniature DOS window parked in the middle of your screen, imprisoning all the displays ? and can you install separate components or are you stuck with

400 megs of unnecessary shit ?
Reply to
hamei

Oh hell, hammy, OO is way better than the StarOffice interface. I remember how it was some kind of virtual desktop thingie. No, OO allows you to open discreet components, just the Word Processor or the Spreadhseet if you want. Just like...., naw, never mind.

moT

Reply to
Tom Accuosti

That's not exactly what I meant ... can you *install* the pieces separately or are you stuck with the entire enchilada ? They used to be tightly integrated with each other. And can you move the app around where you like on the screen, or it it still bounded by that damned MDI box ? That's the one that really turns me off. 1.1 was like okay; if y'all say 2 is much better I'll go take a look maybe. Framemaker works pretty well but sometimes jerks send Excel spreadsheets :-)

Reply to
hamei