Small Hole drilling - Aluminium

Hi All,

Lucky me!!, got some jobs with lots of 1mm dia hole up to 8mm deep. These range from about 200 hundred, up to 2000 holes per part. Have already tried some hole drilling and destroyed a spindle. (top bearing set getting too hot). I've been reccomended to fit spindle chillers, the spindle cartridge already has all the appropiate attachments etc, just need the chiller unit and plumb in.

Would a better alternative be to use a speed increaser, or air spindle?

Currently using a HSS Worm Drill at 8000rpm, F160 mm/min which performs really well. Max RPM of machine is 10000 RPM.

All your help appreciated

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Ensor

"Matthew Ensor" wrote in news:Jd7Kk.26129$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.ams:

This might be a little too spendy but is a better way to go.

or something like this

I think you can get the CAT40 electric set up for around $2,500.00 Not sure though. The air spindles would be cheaper yet, but cost more to run and will have a shorter life.

Reply to
D Murphy

I always thought it would be cool to use thru spindle coolant for this purpose (instead of air turbine or electric motor)--beings as the actual horsepower requirements for small diameter tools probably tends to average less than a single horsepower.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

"Bipolar Bear" wrote in news:gdbp1o$1vi7$ snipped-for-privacy@alt.net:

Doesn't some company in Europe make something like that?

I swear I saw something like that at a show.

We used a BT40 speeder a long while back that was 30k rpm IIRC. It used the through tool coolant to keep it cool. It was alright for drilling but it chattered like crazy for milling.

Reply to
D Murphy

That was an original thought, but I have used speeders before, and not found them to have too long a life span. Like the idea of the electric spindle from NSK , will contact the UK re-seller on Monday. Am still investigating the Spindle chillers, which may be the better long term option.

Reply to
Matthew Ensor

"Matthew Ensor" wrote in news:ZrKKk.47041$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.ams:

I've had very good luck with the NSK stuff. Also look at Ibag, they make the same sort of thing.

The NSK's are cheap to repair. At least they are here anyway.

Reply to
D Murphy