Wire EDM Turning

To All:
    A new twist in recent years with Wire EDM turning. (pun intended <g>).
http://cuttingtoolengineering.com/interactive.reports.php?irid 4
    The sound is crappy, but look at the "fins" on the top of the pawn shaped part. Pretty cool, if you ask me.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I couldn't figoure out why the top of that looked "transparent"... It's all little fins!!
WOW.
Nice find BB, I did some similar type work at Douglas Aircraft back in the late 80's, wish I had that rotating spindle then!!
"D"
BottleBob wrote:

I saw mold shops doing this with motorized Harig whirlygigs in the early 1990's. Like everything else in the machine trades the idea has been greatly improved upon.
--
Black Dragon

Things get worse under pressure.

A better pun in the video: "..... spark some interest...." :)
Incredible, tho. And ditto Halfnutz: I didn't even realize those were the fins!!
How'd you like to take THAT home as a sample??
I wonder what rpm they turned the material at. It's proly irrelevant, no? Or simply the faster the better?
Surface finish??
--

Mr. PV'd

On Dec 31, 9:31am, "Proctologically Violated"

It looked like a couple 'hunert rippum.
Why not just use a parting tool?
RogerN :-)

From the looks of it the situation was too delicate for that. -plh

--
Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET??

because there's no load with sparking.....and no lumps of swooorrffff.