Rivett 918 questions+ Drillpress question

While in LA Friday afternoon, I stopped in at a customers place on a
"cold call", while on my way home. The owner noticed I was pulling my
trailer and asked if I would be interested in hauling off a lathe and
a drill press......
The upshot was, I saved a Rivett 918 second ops lathe, on factory
cabinet, with drawers full of tooling, including a full set of dead
length (push out) 7R collets, 3 jaw etc etc, from the scrappers. The
old girl is actually in pretty nice shape and has a cross slide
feature Ive never seen before. It has an in and out movement of course
and a second lever that moves the tool holder towards and away
parallel to the spindle for fast turning. Way cool. Turret filled with
tooling as well.
But..alas..its missing the collet closer assembly at the ass end of
the spindle. It came with 3 manuals, diagrams, wiring, exploded
diagrams, factory catalogs, etc so I can see what is supposed to
be there. The guys at the shop said they thought it was all there, and
would search...but...shrug..when stuff like this is removed..it always
winds up permanantly missing.
Anyone know of a Rivett 918 that has a "rotary chuck closer" I could
salvage? This unit has a lever that rotates upwared or downwards to
open/close the collet, rather than the normal push-pull collet closer.
Of course, Id be interested in swapping for other Rivett parts and
pieces that would fit this old girl.
Anyone need scans of the documentation, Id be happy to scan and email
or copy and snail mail. May take a bit of doing as there are quite a
number of pages. Some of it is pretty rough. Shrug.
Oh..the drill press. Rebuilt AND repainted REAL US iron, Rockwell
floor model with 3/4" hp 3ph motor. MT2 taper. Double T slots on a
decent sized table.
When I asked why they were dumping it..I was told after it was
rebuilt, no one could make it run,...electrical issues..so it went
into storage for Someday..and someday never came.
So today I moved it into the shop, got out a meter and a gallon of
sweat (95F in the shop) and started futzing around with it. I found
they had miss wired the motor badly.and had neglected to wire up the
mag starter correctly. There were a pair of wires coming out of the
bottom of the mag starter box that had been cut off.. Since there was
no off/on switch anywhere on the head..I surmised that it was for a
foot switch (missing). As I do have a couple kicking around (pun
intended), I wired one up and sure as shooting..it runs just dandy.
Quiet too for a big drill press.
Clockspring is wound a bit too tight..bottoms out when in full
extension of the quill..so Ill fix that next. Ive got it temporarily
wired, and will clean up the wiring over the coming holiday,
liquid-tite, etc. Its missing the cover for the mag starter
though..sigh..thats going to be hard to find.
Big question though..this thing is all of 5' tall and about 350-400
lbs or more. But the table and downfeed is at a height perfect for
someone 4' tall. Since Im 6' plus..anyone have any ideas of why its so
short and the normal way to raise it up a bit? I HATE bending over to
use a drill press. I guess I could weld up a set of elevator shoes
for it . Any suggestions? My back will greatly appreciate any
input.
Also, it has what I think is a hold down on the column. A long arm
with some sort of toggling pad on the end of it, but no lever or
anything to clamp it. I cant quite figure out how its supposed to
tighten/loosen. When the pad assembly is slid towards the column..it
drops down a smidge.
Ive got some pictures if anyone wants to see em, of both the lathe and
the drill press.
Thanks in advance
Gunner
"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Reply to
Gunner
The walker turner ones are either bench or floor mounted - the only difference is the length of the pipe column between the two. Couldn't you just put in a longer column and make if 'full height?'
Or is the column more complex than that?
You could always shorten it and make it a bench model...
Jim (barely ticked over 50F yesterday...)
Reply to
jim rozen
Congrats, Gunner. Great luck!
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
Damn Gunner, I'm GWE. Great scrounge.
FWIW, I had the same height thing with my vertical band saw. I built a heavy coolant catch pan with legs 6 inches high and set the saw in that. Does several things at once: have a place to recycle coolant so I could use flood, raises unit to save my back, and makes it REAL easy to move around with either a die cart or a hand pallet truck.
Karl;
Reply to
Karl Townsend
That's a nice bonus, very cool.
Can't help you with parts though..
John
Reply to
JohnM
"Gunner" wrote in message number of pages. Some of it is pretty rough. Shrug.
I'd say it wasn't a verg good rebuild job, I could have done better in my garage! They should have sent it back or gotten their money back.
Lane
Reply to
Lane
Now thats an excellent idea! I like using coolant with the bigger drill presses...hummm indeedy.
Thanks!
Gunner
Gunner
I suspect that they did it in house. There is not all that much to one of these drill presses and its largely a matter of simply replacing bearings etc.
I make my living in part, repairing other peoples repairs.
Gunner
Gunner
There are enough people around who don't know which end of the hammer to use on the screw, that I have never paid more than $15 for a lawn mower to last me at least ten years. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
[ ... ]
That happens -- far too often, I fear.
Great!
You may have to find another mag starter with a cover -- probably easier than finding a cover to fit this one.
It may have been for someone to operate from a chair -- perhaps even a wheelchair.
What you might try doing is getting some oversized pipe, weld a flange to it, and bore the ID to fit the column, and use that to extend the start of the column. That would mean that you could not lower the table as much as you might like, so even better would be to find some pipe which could be turned to make a new complete column.
Try it from a chair, for when you have a bunch of small parts to drill.
I've seen things which start with a collar around the column -- free to slide up and down when not clamped, with an arm coming out and down at an angle -- say 30 degrees or so. This was two flats, with a third flat between them, pivoted near the end of the first arm, and a cam lever near the back of the first arm. There was a pivoted shoe on the free end, so when you move the lever, it cammed the back of the free arm up, and the pivoted shoe down to clamp the workpiece firmly. This also put enough side load on the collar around the column so that would lock up too.
I would be interested -- but I doubt that any of them would be small enough to fit through my file-size spam block -- and that block happens before my system even knows who sent it, so I can't special case individual addresses. I suspect that the dropbox makes more sense, if enough are interested in seeing them.
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
I suspect you are correct. Ill have to check my Secret Sources © for one.
I think Id rather simply make a table to set it on. About 16" or so tall would do the job. Another poster mentioned using it for a coolant tank basin and I rather like that idea.
I believe thats what this is..but the lever is busted off. Ill get to it one of these days and if thats the case, simply weld another lever on.
As you can see..its not a bench model, or a full height floor model.
Picture of new IR compressor torn up by thieves with the wrong tools...
Nice Nichols miller Im trying to sell for a client $500 obo
I need to change the resolution to smaller file size..but for now...
Gunner
Gunner
Looking at the photo, it looks like the ones which I've seen advertised. (I never had my hands on one to use it directly.)
[ ... ]
Nice -- it looks like it has a L-00 spindle nose -- the first clue was one of the objects in the under shelves.
Yep -- but you *could* weld on an extension to the bottom of the column, and just boost the column and head.
[ ... ]
O.K. One of the ones with the pneumatic X-axis feed. (Maybe the Y-axis as well -- it is a bit dark to tell. But with a bit of zooming in, I see that it has the mounting ring for the vertical head.
I don't have room for a second one -- and the shipping across the country would be a killer.
That's O.K. I prefer to download a larger file, so I can zoom into detail when I wish.
Thanks, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
I checke around some shops today..the lever is indeed busted off. Ill weld up a new one this weekend.
Well....its Similar to L-00, but about half that size with a rather smallish key.
Y is manual. With the dial and original crank , same as the knee.
Road Trip!
Thanks for the comments.
Gunner
Gunner