worst crash ever

1964

Our Vo-Ag teacher took five of us to Colorado to go trout fishing a week after school let out for the summer. We rode in the back of his pick-up, generally acting like a bunch of kids happy to be out of school and GOING SOMEWHERE! While making sandwiches, we decided that one of the tomatoes was bad, so Gary tossed it out the back of the camper shell.

About 20 minutes later, a New Mexico state trooper stopped us and "requested" that we follow him back the way we had come. An 18 wheeler was off the road on it's side. The driver was sitting there all bloody and a little unhappy. To quote him, "I saw this little red thing in the air in front of me and thought 'what the hell is that', when WHAM! the windshield disintigrates and I lost the truck."

It seems that rotten tomatoes at approximately 140 mph are dangerous.

The trout fishing was okay, but very expensive.

Reply to
alphonso

I was asked by a small press/shear repair/sales company to go to work for them, not long ago. I went out on a few service calls..fixed the problems to their satisfaction so they asked me to come on board full time.

The thing is...I kept noticing all the guys with missing fingers, hands and so forth working in those shops..and as I was contemplating a shear Id just fixed that was happily shearing 1/2" plate...it suddenly dawned on me..that this was NOT the line of work I wanted to be in.

So I still do some fill in work for them...but I carry my own lockout locks and some really good timbers in the truck.

Gunner, quite happy with all of his original parts (except for some disks and such)

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

That is bad and I never said that small tools can't hurt or kill you, but my point is still valid that small home shop machines simply lack the power for a spectacular disaster. You simply will not be launching a chuck through the roof from a bench top lathe.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

PrecisionMachinisT

Back in trade school there were glass jars with human body parts, a whole hand, fingers, eye balls, etc preserved in embalming fluid, in them sitting on a bench in front of the shop. On the wall above them next to the only clock in the shop, a board with several scalps with long hair nailed to it. The last position had a question mark painted on it and below it it said "Is Yours Next?".

The message was much more clear than some pictures tacked on a bulletin board. That was back in the late 70's though. Today, doing things like that probably isn't possible because a fucknozzle or two may get offended. Feh.

Anyway, you're right, anybody working around any kind of machinery should browse through this page at least once, before dinner of course if you're slightest bit sqeamish;

Black Dragon

Hi Yes some of them is PLC idiots who dont know what they are doing. The other should not be produced att all if they NOT could be 100% safe. Anyway when a accident happend it will be reported anyway and some one are going to jail. So it is very bad that it maybe kill someone before these things happends.

//Michael

"Anthony" skrev i meddelandet news:Xns97CF5A1455221acziparle3sp835@216.77.188.18...

Reply to
Mighty

"Mighty" wrote in news:pRdeg.2375$ snipped-for-privacy@newsb.telia.net:

Yes..I have ran into a few that *insist* on using timers for everything, rather than hard inputs or outputs. Look at the ladder and they have used every timer and counter available. IMHO, this is NOT the way to write a PLC program, you are just asking for trouble once a pneumatic cylinder or other mechanical device is no longer as fast as it once was, or gets faster due to adjustment.

Reply to
Anthony

I once had a mill that could only communicate with the RS232 port with older computers from when the mill was made (early 90's). Something about the way they set it up made it not able to keep pace with a modern computer due to some kind of a timing issue, and the problem could not be resolved in the drip feed program or port setup, it just took a slow computer.

Reply to
Polymer Man

Hi It doesent matter if the cylinder taks 24 hours to come out or if the speed is double or what you mean, everything must be safe. So everything must be checked. with mechinical switches or inductive solenoids or something else. The EU safety regulations says, not only one thing could make shit happends, it must be 2 things. Hardware and software. So if someone write something in PLC with a timer or what you mean, it must also be checked with some type of hardware switch. The most dangerues you could do is to put the head under the tool and take the handwheel and try to crash the tool to your head. But this is also double safety, so you can hurt you but not kill you. I dont see any exampel there it not will be safe to work, except heavy duty turning.

//Michael

"Anthony" skrev i meddelandet news:Xns97D15BA9F1360acziparle3sp835@216.77.188.18...

Reply to
Mighty

Great little story. As I've learned more and more about machining and toolmaking, it seems a lack of "tedious attention to detail" is what causes the vast majority of problems. This seems self-evident, but time and time again, everyone shakes their head because someone has cheated and now things don't work.

The fastest toolmakers at work aren't necessarily the ones that can grind the fastest or who know the most. They're the ones that tie up the loose ends before starting on the task at hand. For instance, clearing out parts of castings and machined parts which are likely to interfere during the operation of the die. While one *could* assemble the die and find out (one way or the other) that there is interference, it is much faster and more convenient to find trouble spots, and make healthy clearance while the part is on the floor (and not in the die in the press).

In the case of machining, measure twice, cut once. I was fitting a trim/pierce die last week. The machinist who drilled the holes for the cast inserts neglected to mill a suitably sized flat on the cast face before drilling some of deeper screw holes. Naturally the drill wandered because of the imbalanced cut, and by the time it exited the opposite (important) face of the block, it was 5mm off in location. So us toolmakers have to fit the block and find out that the hole is in the wrong place, possibly plug the screw hole in the shoe or somehow move the hole in the insert. Off the insert goes to the machine shop to be machined properly. Two hours after the block should have been in, we got it back and assembled it.

/rant

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

An insightful observation.

Also expressed as "the devil is in the details," and "implementation is a b***h," in other fields.

Politicians, executives, and policy makers would do well to recite one or more of these terse observations before they make a decision. Nothing is difficult or impossible to the person who doesn't have to do it.....

Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Dan, I was traveling against traffic on my bike when a car going real fast, like

60, hit me in the shoulder with a Squash! Blew me right off the bike. I wouldn't have known what hit me except for the yellow stain and smell. Left a hell of a bruise too.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in news:ptseg.685$Oa3.645@trndny09:

I had a hell of a bruise too. At first I thought I was bleeding, but when I looked at my fingers it was egg.

Then there are the idiots that throw rocks from overpasses...

Reply to
D Murphy

Detroit had some kids tossing bowling balls off over passes. They bounce pretty good, even after they went through windshields, the occupants skulls and into other cars.

When they finally caught em..they went away for many years for murder..multiple counts

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

How many years in the trade do you have?

Reply to
Bill Roberto

Doesn't Mazak have programmable soft boundaries to help prevent crashes?

Reply to
Bill Roberto

I bet it's fun to tell that story. "I got squished by a squash squarely on the shoulder."

Reply to
Bill Roberto

Bill Roberto wrote in news:W5Eeg.9084$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Like anything else...it only works if that wasn't the mistake you made.

Reply to
Anthony

A school kid killed a driver doing that in Auckland recently. It came through the windscreen at 60 mph and took half his head off.

Eric Stevens

Reply to
Eric Stevens

Ok just to let you know I have not given up on the learning process and am not totally scared off the mill, and I do respect the power of the machine.I am a little more worried about my husband going to work(thanks for the traffic worries...) I have had my own "crash" (I still dispute it being totally mine though) and not anywhere near your stories...I just killed the part. we were setting up the mill and making the necessary tweaks, we decided to run an engraving program on a laser pointer, we're still not completely sure what the glitch was but the tool went completely thru the part as quick as I was on the e-stop, it wasn't fast enough... Thanks for the encouragement though it means alot!! Christina

Reply to
Girly