worst crash ever

I've been at it for 35+ years.

Reply to
jimz

Not the chuck, just the workpiece. ;-)

But you're right. A tabletop lathe won't have a chuck big enough to roll through the wall if it comes off.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

I caught a half of a brick in the windshield thrown by a group of kids once. Luckily, it caught part of the top of the cab. We got sprayed by a little broken glass, but the brick didn't come through. If I coulda got to those kids It wouldn't have been pretty. I filled out a police report. Cops said it happens all the time.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Unlikely even the work piece since a bench top lathe likely doesn't run fast enough to launch a part well. A snapped tool bit embedded in the sheetrock is a possibility.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Sounds like a start to a country song...

"I got squished by a squash, Squarely on the Shoulder; You were always on my mind. Now my Pumpkin's puking pie crust all down my side, like a vegetable slip and slide ...

Hmm, don't reckon I'll give up the night job.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich Typos, Grammos and da kind are the result of ragin hormones Fortesque Consulting: Teaching Pigs to Sing since 1968.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "Robin S." wrote on Sun, 28 May 2006 14:11:18 -0400 in alt.machines.cnc :

Here, here. I'll take the time to lay out work, raw stock here, empty box for complete parts, all set so I don't have to go far once I open the door (I make small parts, a lot of times, loading the part is the longest segment of the cycle). Yeah, I'm a little slower getting started, but once that's taken care of, my cycle times shorter, and I can get it all done.

As my first boss told us all, "If you haven't time to do it right, when will you find time to do it over?"

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Some kids I knew in high school went out throwing eggs from cars on Halloween once. 1:00 AM on a foggy night they threw an egg at a guy on a bike, and it hit him square in the spine without breaking on impact. Moments later they noticed that they had entered a culdesack (sp?) without noticing because of the fog, and there was no way out other than the way they came.

By the time they got to where the bicyclist had been, they were going about 70 mph, and he threw a rock slightly larger than a softball from hiding in the bushes at least 40 feet away from the road, and hit their truck square in the middle of the windshield. The whole windshield broke, of course, but the rock did not go through. I was glad that I had the sense to stay home when I was invited to attend.

Reply to
Bryce

Having already had your first crash, you are entitled to join the alt.machines.cnc "Frappr"

Fred

Reply to
ff

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "Girly" wrote on Tue, 30 May 2006 01:20:03 -0400 in alt.machines.cnc :

Sounds like one of several things possible: 1) wrong Tool Length offset (I got confused, once, and put the short value where the longer tool was. When it made a rapid move to 1 inch over the part, it thought the tool was 4 inches short than it was. Fortunately, that was still short of the tool holder and it was a 3/8 drill already spun up to speed. Fastest hole I ever drilled! I now write TLOs and CRC/CLC* down, _in order_. and then enter them.) 2) Reset button hit. The machine 'thinks' the tool is farther from the part than it is, then rapids to where it thinks is clear space. 2a) "jumping" down a program to 'pick up' where you left off, and not resuming on a 'safe" line, and the machine does what you told it, which isn't what you meant, and rapids the tool into the vice. NFG. [Not Fery Good!] 3_) rapid move vs "normal" movements. It is done before you (the carbon based control) realize it. 4) you have one co-ordinate set and you move to G28 Z0 ('rapid home')in the wrong co-ordinate system, and rather than move up, it moved down. (Missed the fixture by that much. Fortunately, I take care of bodily process before I go to work, so I don't have to worry about messing my britches. :-) ) 5) Gremlins / Menehunis / Elves, Alien Space Bats. Day Shift! When all else fails, blame day shift. Or Congress.

tschus pyotr

  • CRC/CLC - Center Radius Compensation, and Centerline Compensation. Allows the machine to Compensate for a nominal 3/8 end mill which is really .372 diameter.

-- pyotr filipivich Typos, Grammos and da kind are the result of ragin hormones Fortesque Consulting: Teaching Pigs to Sing since 1968.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

we were setting the offsets, and they worked fine, then they didn't... its a good test piece now...haha

Reply to
Girly

Girly:

We call them "Set-up" parts, in our shop. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

Wow

This stuff is mind blowing to me

Out right night marish....................

Its pretty hard to crash a CNC with your eyes open.

Wow

Joe788 wrote:

Reply to
MSI

Really? What's the max programmable feedrate on the machines you run? What's the rapid rate? Get one going 900 IPM or more, and you won't have time to close your eyes before the turret indexes the part right out of the chuck and destroys the safety glass you've got your nose pressed against. Damn, but that guy was glad it was a good window.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Right Charlie, my Yang gang tool that you saw has 1,181 IPM rapid. I never have crashed it since I bought it new in 1997. But you would NOT be fast enough to stop it. I'm very careful setting it up at rapid on 25% .

Reply to
Why

Best thing about a CNC, it does exactly what you tell it to. Worst thing about a CNC, it does exactly what you tell it to.

Tom

MSI wrote:

Reply to
brewertr

x?}TÁnÛ0 ½ë+xÚZÀóîkQ`+,?nZ gY¦m­²?IT ïëGÊM Ër0$ç?||´1æáqK"ÆæÖ?ù?i¹}ïï?÷ó3Cæ2 ?ÙǺ@?#0??¿?ä?!Öçl?ÏSûßÅ;?O?ÂdS¯]²y ÷_ïañ

Reply to
Polymer Man

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Ha-Ha. Maybe some day controls will look at the code & flash a warning on the screen. "your going to CRASH dumb ass".

Reply to
Why

Don't laugh too soon...

Likely it's already entirely possible to do this with parameter input limits and via laser inferometry--though appears nobody's doing this so far.

( wanna share the patent )

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Why wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Exactly the same situation on a Mazak Squirt. 1181 IPM rapid. You don't have time to even think before bad things can happen. Add in robotics..and it can get ugly in a hurry.

Reply to
Anthony