worst crash ever

"MSI" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Not really. One misplaced decimal point, one misplaced 0, one inverted or dyslexic number, one missing sign, mis-measuremet or any number of other things can go wrong.

Reply to
Anthony

Yeah, owner crashed new Mazak FH-5800 first week on the floor. Thought he hit single block, machine thought other wise. Bam! Trashed spindle.

At 100% rapid there's no time to react.

Dale

Reply to
DrFrye

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Anthony wrote on Sat, 10 Jun 2006 17:00:55 GMT in alt.machines.cnc :

"Lets see, I need to shift X by 25 thou, so I add .25 to the current X ... , and push the button and duck."

Does anyone else see the problem of adding .250 when you mean .025? At least I only scrapped the one part.

-- pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Don't use decimal points if the control allows it. In the case of a .025" offset you simply type in 250 (assuming .0001" resolution). Worst case is that you miss the last zero which means the offset amount is too small.

It's also good practice to do the math in your head before you hit . That way you'll spot an error right off.

Reply to
D Murphy

Thx Dan

Gotta relay this to the kid--somehow he seems paranoid.

"Dont even use ther decimal point"--bound ta confuse the living crap outa him.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but D Murphy wrote on 12 Jun 2006 06:32:15 GMT in alt.machines.cnc :

There is the reason I was a History Major, and not an Engineer ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

When I was in the electrical business my accountant would always reset the decimal point setting on my desk calculator when he came in for an audit. It used to drive me mad. I said something to him about it once. He said his way was much faster not having to hit the decimal point. I said I know his way is faster, but when I miss a decimal point I get a bigger number. One of two things happens then. I overcharge a customer, he tells me or I get to keep the mistake I didn't find. Or I turn in a bid for more money, don't get the job, or get the job and make more profit. My way is safer!

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas