4-20 ma to Fiber

Is there such a device that converts 4-20ma to Fibre and back again?

Looking for single or multi-channel.

Thanks

Reply to
rjb

The simple answer is that there isn't one, but what exactly are you trying to do?

You would need to connect some form of A/D Converter in the field to convert the 4-20mA signal to a digital signal and then send this across the fibre. This is usually in the form of a Remote I/O module or RTU connected over the fibre to your control system.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

I've seen this company's solution on an oil rig I worked on (commissioning).

I think it's what you're looking for.

Cheers

Reply to
Tom Morrison

Thanks Tom - It is exactly what I need!

(commissioning).

Reply to
rjb

RJB, Yes there is. Please follow the link

Cheers, Raj

Reply to
Raj Sreenevasan

Hey Raj,

I had a quick look at the link below. Looks to me that the black box described is used to convert electrical serial data (digital) to and from fiber for long runs. Apart from good old rs-232, some ancient systems used a five bit code sent over a current loop (not 4 - 20)

RJB was looking to send an analogue 4 - 20 mA signal over fiber.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Morrison