Application of DeltaV batch control system

I am applying a deltav control system in a batch application. I am looking for some answers:

  1. Is there a way to send operator messages outside of the BOI? Where do the system messages go to??
  2. Is there a way to monitor a step so that when the time elapses I get a system message. That is a message that is not preogramed specifically - but inherenetly in every step.
  3. Is there a way to deefine a hold progress so that the recipe HOLD is not propegated to ALL the phases? and if a phase goes on HOLd it is not switching the whole recipe to HOLD?

Thank you, Oren

Reply to
Oren Yulevitch

You can do all those things by programming it into the controllers. I think, but am not sure, that the hold propagation rules can be set up as you want. And just because a phase is set to hold it does not mean that the associated equipment module needs to be stopped for example. The EM must be programmed in the controllers and you can then respond (in the Controller ) as you need to the Phase Logic Interface. As with all such systems, it is necessary to spend quite a lot of design effort to get the right level of modularisation to support recipes that are easy to configure in the batch manager.

Francis

21st Century process control specification and design
Reply to
Francis

I know that with programing I can do a lot. The question was is there an internal feature to do those things.

Regarding the hold/abort propagation. what you say is that I can go into a HOLD, but do no action there - or any other logic for that matter. I wanted to not get there in the first place. Is that possible?

Oren

Reply to
Oren Yulevitch

Oren Sorry but I can't answer that. The available documentation that I have is not adequate, and I cannot find anything detailed enough on the Web, for example at

have various Emerson FDS's but none that actually answers your question, other than a statement in one that says that during exceptions "The phase shall place other acquired EMs in the Same Unit in a pre-defined state, which in turn writes the fail-safe setpoints to subordinate control modules. If any parallel Phases that are unaffected by the failure and are active at this time, execution of these phases shall continue." But that does not say whether this is standard configutrable logic or programmed specifically. You need to talk to Emerson or someone who has detailed, and recent (because each version introduces new features) experience. And/or experiment with a system. I am still sure that you will have to write plenty of controller code! Francis

Reply to
Francis

Oren,

  1. Is there a way to send operator messages outside of the BOI? Where do the system messages go to?

With DeltaV version 7 you can get the operator promp in DeltaV Operate (iFix)

  1. Is there a way to monitor a step so that when the time elapses I get a system message. That is a message that is not preogramed specifically - but inherenetly in every step.

Every step has a time parameter. You just have to make use of it.

  1. Is there a way to deefine a hold progress so that the recipe HOLD is not propegated to ALL the phases? and if a phase goes on HOLd it is not switching the whole recipe to HOLD?

It is possible to set the HOLD to the lowest level which is the phase. Check the properties for the Batch Executive, especially the HOLD propagation.

Kind Regards, Peter

Peter