Autopilot: Altitude control system

Does anybody know how the vertical component of the wind is controlled in a autopilot, control system? Is it discreet? Is the component of the wind sampled? The reference is desired altitude change and the sampled output is the altitude change. Thank you.

Regards,

Boen S. Liong

Reply to
Boen S. Liong

Wind isn't measured at all in the few autopilots I know anything about. An altimeter's output is used to control altitude.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Tahnk you, Mr. Jerry. So from your answer, we cannot measure sensitivity with regards to the wind. So what does the autopilot use to simulate wind?

Boen S. Li> Boen S. Li> > Does anybody know how the vertical component of the wind is controlled

=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF= =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF

Reply to
Boen S. Liong

The autopilots I know about use altitude (barometric only or barometric and radar), airspeed, heading, the rate gyros, and attitude as inputs. At least one uses a turn and bank indicator to coordinate turns, but simpler autopilots are limited to keeping a steady course. Wind is important for dead reckoning, but not as an element that affects control.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins