expanding range of DC Gearmotor

I have a 10,000 lb load frame. It came with a Dayton motor 4Z382A. 90V DCPM 61 RPM 113 in-lb, 1/8 hp, 30:1 gear ratio. This motor would not run slow
enough. So I replaced it with a 4Z383A. 90V DCPM 31 RPM, 244 in-lb, 1/8 hp, 57.7:1 gear ratio But with this motor I can not run fast enough and It stalls out at the very low end. My frame translates motion using a Acme thread shaft. I would like to have a speed as low as 0.0001"/min (but I can live with 0.001 "/min) and as fast as 0.05 "/min or greater. My top end is only 0.04 "/min so it is very close. It uses a rheostat type knob with about 10 revolutions of travel to adjust the speed.
Motor Details here: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/viewCatalogPDF.shtml?browserCompatable=true&adobeCompatable=true&CatPage3
How can I get a larger rpm range and still maintain the torque to keep from stalling? It is belt driven so I could change pulley size. Thanks in advance. Pal
Pal wrote:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/viewCatalogPDF.shtml?browserCompatable=true&adobeCompatable=true&CatPage3
An SCR phase control variable speed drive will give you a lot better open loop speed control than a rheostat, using the voltage generated by the motor as it turns to measure and correct its speed. If you could add a tachometer to your mechanism to provide speed feedback, you would get another big improvement. You could probably go back to your higher speed motor and still beat the low speed end of the slower one the way you are using it now.
I am not recommending this model, just showing it as an example so you can learn good key words to search: http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?skup10010&clsI15&par=&cat=&sch06&pfx=&lstBool=true
--
John Popelish

Here is another low cost example: http://www.reliance.com/prodserv/standriv/d2894.htm
--
John Popelish

I think you may have a control box with the 10 turn pot on it, not sure. If so there maybe a min speed adjustment limit pot of some kind inside on a PCB. You maybe able to use the first motor and make an adjustment there. Another possible option is a different controller, check with Dayton after first getting the controller info.

DCPM
hp,
can
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/viewCatalogPDF.shtml?browserCompatabletrue&adobeCompatable=true&CatPage3
from
? 2004?6?27???? UTC +8??11:31:38?Pal???

PM

p,

can

le=true&adobeCompatable=true&CatPage3

om

Sell: China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing , manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in sm art kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-tran smission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunic ation and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different s izes. In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partne rs around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.
Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd URL: http://www.zwgearbox.com/ Contact: Anny Liu Tel?+86-755-27322652 Fax?+86-755-27323949 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China