Instrument Symbols and Identification standards

Hi All, I am aware that ISA S5.1 has been the de-facto international standard for Instrument Symbols and Identification. However in Australia we had AS

1101.6 (modeled after ISA S5.1) as the national standard. This standard has now become OBSOLETE. If any Australian members of this group (Cameron??) are aware of a replacement standard for AS 1101.6, please let me know.

As far as I know, there are no equivalent IEC standards to ISA S5.1. ISO has adopted a new standard ISO 14617.6 (ISO 14617 series) in 2002 and British Standards has adopted this as BS 14617.6 in 2004.

Has any one used ISO 14617.6 to define Instrument Symbols? Is it a one-to-one replacement for ISA S5.1? Back in 2004, ISA was considering updating S5.1 to cater for Fieldbus Instruments (Foundation Fieldbus, IEC

61508 / IEC 61511 compliant instruments, Profibus, ASi etc). Is anyone aware of where this standard update effort is headed? Any help or pointers in this regard will be much appreciated. Thanks and regards, Raj Sreenevasan
Reply to
Raj Sreenevasan

Hi Raj, I hadn't realised they'd made it obsolete - we still use it as do most of our clients. It's a bit strange because they've revised 1101.3..

I assume you asked on the IICA Forum already. I'll make some enquiries and if I find anything of use, I'll let you know.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

The ISA-SP5.1 subcommittee currently is in the process of revising and updating ISA-5.1-1984 (R1992), Instrumentation Symbols and Identification, and hopes to have a revised version completed in 2006.

For more information about ISA SP5.1, contact Charley Robinson, ( snipped-for-privacy@isa.org) ISA Standards.

The standard may be due for some revision, but it is still used by most people and companies in the business.

John Shaw

Camer> > I am aware that ISA S5.1 has been the de-facto international standard for

Reply to
John Shaw

Yeah, I've looked up our standards documentation and it is definatly marked as obsolete. There doesn't appear to be any indication as to what they are replacing it with either. I know a lot of Australian standards are being moved over to European standards

Reply to
Gadz

Andrew, I know you're a newbie around here - welcome to Usenet - but it

*does* help if you post the orginal thread as well as your response (as above), even if you have to snip bits to that IYO aren't relevant.

This way people know what you are talking about.. :-)

HTH, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough