Battery room ventilation requirements

Hi all, Has anyone seen the latest version of ASHRAE Guideline 21P relating to Battery room ventilation requirements? I am aware that the 1997 version of ASHRAE standard required 6 air changes per hour.

However, with the latest in battery technology such as VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) batteries and Sealed Ni-CD / MgOH batteries, has this requirement been revised? Search revealed that a ASHRAE committee meeting was called for in October 2001 to discus the latest version of the Guideline 21P.

Are there any other standards that spells out the requirements for battery room ventilation? Thanks and regards, Raj Sreenevasan

Reply to
Raj Sreenevasan

Go to eng-tips.com thread658-23476

Reply to
Allan Morrison

Raj,

Sorry about the delay - someone else here snaffled the Standards:

All I could find was AS 2359.2 (the SAA Industrial Truck Code!) Clause 2.7 talks about battery room ventilation and calls up AS1482 (ventilation of explosive atmospheres).

Basically, it seems that if you comply with the older battery room requirements, the new ones are way less stringent.

I hope this helps, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Cameron, I have subsequently discovered (from people who have worked with Telstra exchanges) that the ventilation requirements are governed in Australia by AS2676 Parts 1 & 2 as well as AS3011 Parts 1 & 2. Telephony applications are goverened by AS3015 Parts 1 & 2. Cheers, Raj

Reply to
Raj Sreenevasan

Thanks, Raj - I'll keep that info on file. You never know when it's likely to be needed.. :-)

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough