Aloha, What is everyone working on now? Any fun sounding projects? I am still screwing around with an L3 project. It is a 7.5"diameter Kilter missile. I have also been playing around with the idea of seeing how light I could build a 10" Harpoon. I think it would be interesting to have it light enough to fly well on a K motor.
I am meeting with a club member Saturday for the parts for my L3 rocket. He is going to fiberglass the 7.5 inch phenolic tubes for me (for a price) but it will save me time in the long run. Six inch host for the same reasons you stated (you can always adapt down and clusters are cool). Trying to decide if NAR or Tripoli will be easier to certify since I'm in SE Alabama. No close by TAP members...at least a six hour drive.
Just finished my third rebuild of the Launch Pad plan pack RIM-67A, with an improved mechanical setup for sustainer ignition. We have a launch coming up this Saturday and it looks like partly cloudy and 75 degrees, South winds less than 10 MPH.
I'm "recycling" my old EZI-65's payload section into an in-line 3 cluster rocket so I can get in some experience with air starting. I'll need that for a multi-stage I've built. There's the HyperLOC-300 I'll use for my Level 2, after I study some more for the written test. It won't hurt to get in some "I" flights for the experience while I get up my gumption for that (then I'll pull out my FX grain). I'm going to see if the one fellow in the club with an 18mm casing would like some of my reloads in exchange for flying my Fatboy on a "big" D motor ;-) Ordered them at the time thinking they were SU's, there's a deal in the offing methinks. And if there's a clear day and an open field somewhere when I'm free.........
In the middle of a classic X-Ray clone project. It is built and ready to seal and paint. I have in mind a 2X scale clone I call Dos Equis.
Also I'm working on my Space Ark. This has actually developed into 3 projects, all based on the classic book "When Worlds Collide." Ark 1, the 100-soul atomic rocket, is based on an Estes V2 kit. Ark 2, the
450-soul kit from the book, will be built from an Atlantic Rockets V2 that is currently languishing in my Pile of Unbuilt Kits (tm). If I ever get around to Ark 3, the 40-man ship from the movie, it will be scratch-built based on the Apogee BT-80 nose cone.
This is Wisconsin. And we are still nuts enough to fly year round. Gotta love launching on frozen lakes, especially when you are out there and you hear a thunderous crack(not the ice breaking but the ice freezing deeper).
One is two BT-50 sized SkyDarts with rudder-only R/C, carried up by a ballistic booster rocket. Made some test flights at the December 18th Birmingham Rocket Boys launch. With just one prototype glider to check out the glide with the R/C gear mass and the control response before committing to two well-built and finished models.
The other is a BoosterVision camera. I made a few flights Saturday using an electric powered sailplane. Forgot to re-adjust the focus for long range view after having focused it to get the tail of a rocket glider in focus. If things go well I'll fly it again sometime this weekend and get better footage.
Cold, Windy? Not in Texas, this is prime flying season! 8-) Unfortunately my personal schedule means I'm pretty well booked with other stuff through March :-(
I'm still recovering from my successful NAR L3 certification in December. I spent much of my Christmas vacation cleaning out my garage and doing triage on various in-progress projects. I still have to paint my L3 rocket; my flight was actually a couple of weeks ahead of schedule, everything was ready except the paint so I flew naked :-[ . Next up is final paint and details on a 4" rocket I built to handle RATTworks K motors. It has a 75mm MMT so it should be pretty flexible.
My next "big" project is a GPS tracking system based off of 900MHz Aerocomm transmitters. I was going to use a Ham radio but that requires some protocol conversion and insertion of my call sign. I should be able to build Version 1.0 using the Aerocomm modules as cable replacement. I can add an embedded processor later and incorporate other telemetry data (such as data from my PerfectFlite altimeters).
*Scale Kits Sidewinder....converted to a 29mm mount to fly the Sky Ripper G-H motors I won at our Christmas raffle!
*A 5.5 inch Scratch build called "Cluster-plexity"a 7x38mm cluster project designed to fly on 7 J570's in April (M3990 or less with possible multiple airstarts , total of 7560 NS)..later to be a booster for a 3X38mm Sustainer.
a 7.5 inch Scratch build with a 98mm main mount surrounded by 6 or 8 54mm mounts (each capable of holding the CTI pro 54 L730).
*a 4 inch minimum diameter composite airframe 5 feet long to hold a Pro 98 6 grain case.
*a fully glassed Estes Mean Machine with a 29 mm mount and dual deployment
*US Rockets Banshee.....with Dual deployment!
Plus 3 launches in the next 4 weeks....Historically, we Michigan Rocketeers actually fly more in the winter than the summer.....if you've ever flown a hybrid motor when the temperatures are in the single digits, you know your a Michigan Rocketeer ;-)