Is hybrid control already applied to the industry?

I noticed that there are a lot of interesting results in the hybrid control now. Have the theory really applied to the industry control? And what about the Discrete Event Control theory? Have it applied to do scheduling?

Regards

Reply to
workaholic

What is that? Post a link. Inquiring minds want to know but I am a skeptic. I have done well with the traditional method.

I haven't seen it. I don't even know what you are talking about. You must realize that most academics come up with very stupid methods of control.

Again, what is it? Post a link to something that describes it. Have it applied to

Schedule what? I am always skeptical about the latest fads.

Peter Nachtwey

Reply to
pnachtwey

Close to the top of the list was when I googled the term was:

However, I agree the OP could have posted a link to the topic to enable us to get on the same wavelength.

Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

at there are a lot of interesting results in the hybrid

y really applied to the industry control?

Dear Mr.Nachtwey,

If the IEEE online library is available, you can download a survey paper about hybrid control on Control System Magazine, April 2009

for discrete event systems,

So it seems that both theories are useless in your specialized field.

Reply to
workaholic

that there are a lot of interesting results in the hybrid

ory really applied to the industry control?

According the the link that Paul E Bennett posted Hybrid technology sounds like a new name for the same old stuff. So what is new? Only the name has changed.

Peter Nachtwey

Reply to
pnachtwey

Interesting thread, I spent quite a while pondering the disconnects that surfaced. For starters, as a practising control engineer, I'd rarely do any scheme of any significance these days that doesn't encompass a significant amount of both regulatory and discrete functionality. So the short answer to the OPs question is 'yes it is applied, so that's it'. However, browsing some of the URLs referred to in the post, it's clear that some smart people have put a lot of effort into coming up with clever approaches, some of which no doubt could be useful for people like me, but which may regrettably languish in academic publications, hidden beneath a forest of intractable maths.

Maybe the problem is in attempting to ringfence and label the entire field - even suggesting it's a discipline in itself. Control problems generally involve applying carefully chosen snippets of a variety of techniques, that's one reason why control is such a fun field to be in. For me, a cookbook of techniques for dealing with specific situations would be much more useful. If you want an example, look at Greg Shinskeys classic text on regulatory control, "Process Control Systems".

Reply to
Bruce Varley

snipped-for-privacy@j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

The key word in the description of the field "Control Systems" isn't so much "control" as "systems", in my humble opinion.

Yes, applying control theory is a very important part of what I do. But to successfully apply control theory I have to understand what I'm applying it _to_. I succeed not just because I can do the math, but because I know enough mechanical engineering to ask the right questions (and to ask _for_ the right things), I know enough circuit design to design drive & acquisition circuits (or to ask for the right things), and I know enough software design to write the algorithms that make them all work, without requiring a processor that comes with it's own hydroelectric dam for power.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Thanks, I spent some time on reading that interesting books, which does not involve too much maths but include some practical rules. I do not know if there is a similar book in mechanical system control.

Reply to
workaholic