Is PLC automation a good field to go into?

Im burnt out on drafting and design.

I considered the IT industry but almost everyone on the Net says there isn't much of a future in it since it will al be out sourced outside the country... India, Russia, etc.

What abt PLC programming and automation? A good field to enter that wont shrink like IT has?

Reply to
john63401

PLCs are used in manufacturing. Manufacturing, in the US, is not a growth sector.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

PLCs are used all over the place - in fuel terminals, airports, trains, ships, high-rise buildings, power plants - anywhere more than a few relays are required to control something.

Integration (ie. the connection of automation systems into plant IT networks) is one of the biggest growth areas there is, thanks to the Internet and "e-business".

There is great pressure on companies with existing PLCs and automation systems world-wide to streamline their processes and provide process information to their customers. If you can get into that I doubt you will ever look back.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

PLC is a low level in automation system. More and more PLC systems need to be connected to IT systems, so it is better to learn something new not just PLC. I started using C# to implement Automation system some time ago. If you are interested, you can see a lot of C# source code in my web

Jimmy

What's currently used in building control systems?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Typically anything that will communicate over BACNet or LONTalk..

They don't call them PLCs - they're closer to RTUs really - but the SCADA side is the same (eg. CitectFacilities

)

Some can be programmed in C++, but most use their own proprietary programming system. The market leader would be Clipsal 'C-Bus'

(it's really re-badged LONTalk with a fancy front-end, but don't tell anyone ;-)

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

so , then , what is a growth sector in the US (or in Europe, or in Japan, which are quite similar?)

Look at the IT industry which was THE growth sector 5 years ago, now it has gone bankrupt.

Every PLC job in any decent industry will do, there is no "marshal plan" around the corner, I hope :-))

Only be aware that you are not at the cutting edge of technology when it comes to PLC. But why should you bother about that?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Marx

The manufacturing sector is in a slump now, but should pick back up when the economy starts moving again.

Working with PLCs as well as other control systems, such as DCSs and the verious hybrid combinations should always have a future. Code for IT systems can be outsourced to foreign countries easily. Working on the controls in a manufacturing plant requires someone who can spend time in the plant with the equipment and people. That is much harder to outsource to a foreign country.

You should not only learn about the PLCs and other control systems but also become knowlegable about measurement devices, final control elements, drives, and the rest of the interface between the controls and the plant. This will depend upon the type of manufacturing you will be working with (paper, power, small parts, packaging, etc.)

Working in the plant with the controls for the process or equipment is "where the rubber meets the road". If the plant doesn't run well, nothing else matters.

John Shaw

Reply to
John Shaw