sliding mode control

hi, I am learming about sliding mode control. I understand that there will be a switching term in the control input which may be a function of ur control parameter. But i do not
understand how to choose the sliding surface, and how to visulaize how ur systems is sliding on the surface.Is the mathematical model a must for SMC?. Your help will be highly appreciated. Regards j