Modbus in a Plug And Play Enviroment

Hi Folks
Anyone out there tried to implement an RS485 multidrop network as a hot plug and play environment?
Weve a need a PLC to monitor a range of portable appliances that come with
modbus as standard. Wed like to wire up a network of sockets and plug the units into varying sockets as required without powering down the network and with those units already connected remaining operational.
Besides the question of is this practical, would anyone one like to suggest the most suitable plug/socket to use Im looking for something fairly resilient and waterproof preferably IP65 or similar. Frequency of connections would be about once every 24 hrs.
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Terry

plug
with
units
with
suggest the

resilient and

about
I do not believe your going to like the consequences that this is going to produce.
Every device in a network has an address. You plug-in #3 and monitor then plug-in #4 removing #3. If the network does not know about the address it will alarm when #4 is installed. If it does know about the address then it will alarm cause 4 is not there in the beginning. If you use the same addresses then your data could get confused if there is a problem. Unless 485 has changed a lot in the last year....
SQLit wrote:

RS-485 applies to the physical layer and is not Modbus per se. Translation: Modbus uses RS-485. Other systems do too.
Jerry

There should be no real problems, as long as all of the devices you are plugging into the network are pre-programmed with a unique Modbus address. Keep in mind that the Modbus address is assigned to the unit, not to the socket.
You will need to tell your PLC Modbus Master when you add or remove a device from the network in order for it to know whether to poll that device or not.
Although we recommend our customers power down the bus before adding new devices, we hot plug items here in the lab all the time on our RS485 multidrop network test systems. When you plug or unplug a device, it may cause a short glitch on the bus, leading to one or two communication polling messages to be corrupted and dropped.
If your cables to the sockets are very long or you are operating the bus at high speeds, I would recommend adding a terminating resistor right to the cable's socket connection, to ensure you will not get reflections from open sockets.
Hope this helps!
Tim Kirk Rogue Engineering Inc www.rogue-engr.com Rogue Engineering Inc is a quality manufacturer of electronics and software products for industrial and niche markets.

Terry
We plug devices into hot RS485 networks frequently and have never had any problems.
Your PLC make be kind of sluggish though, if it has to spend a lot of time polling devices that aren't on the network.
Mark Walsh Rogue Engineering Inc.
Thanks all for your comments the portable devices will of course be "pre programmed" with unique modbus addresses.
Terry