Modeling Hysteresis

Anyone have any pointers to mathematical models that they like which model hysteresis phenomena? Any hysteresis phenomena?

I'm feeling kind of constrained by NDA at the moment, but all of the hysteresis behaviors that I know of (gear backlash, magnetic, stress in piezoelectric crystals) seem to share some common behaviors, so just about _any_ model that's mathematically tractable would be helpful.

I also know that I've seen pictures out there in internet-land of the de- Gaussing process plotted on a B-H curve that showed that multiple small hysteresis cycles tend (at least in some magnetic materials) to relax the stored energy due to hysteresis -- I want to run that by my customer and ask them if it happens in their material.

Thankee in advance.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

If you find one that doesn't cause convergence issues in a simulator, let me know. I'd like a general purpose hysteresis model myself.

Magnetic hysteresis adds the modeling difficulty of being variable with starting point :-(

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Modern books on electric machines abound of magnetic hysteresis models. The degree of sophistication could be different; taking into account frequency, temperature, second order effects, etc.

What do you really want?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Anything on the web?

"I'm feeling kind of constrained by NDA at the moment" -- so I can't really say. But good hysteresis treatments in general would give me ideas.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I surfed on "hysteresis mathematical model -IEEE" and got a few interesting papers. Unless you're dealing with fixed hysteresis you're stuck with some kind of memory function... ick :-( ...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Hi Tim, This is pretty much a half baked idea. But I'm thinking about comparator hysterisis, and wondering if you could make some piece wise digital model? I'm not sure how to wire up a string (or ladder) of comparators to do what you want. But maybe this can spark some other ideas.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If you feel that your hysteresis models aren't challenging the simulator enough, try modeling friction.

The only time I've ever gotten Matlab to actually crash (rather than hanging) was trying to simulate friction.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

This has Stribeck, viscous and coulomb friction:-

Note they avoid the discontinuity..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

back in the netlist entry mode for PSpice I modeled a simple mechanical system complete with friction AND backlash. Made for some very intersting plots of response. Just started into adding stiction but quit due to actual work requirements. As in had to go back to productive work to make money.

Reply to
Robert Macy

The Jiles-Atherton model in PSpice has hysteresis. The MicroSim PSpice used to plot the BH curve straight, so it was somewhat easy to adjust to whatever you needed.

Depending on starting point you got a lot of different responses, but thatis the definition of hysteresis. That today is based upon a bit of history, so where you start SHOULD affect the response.

Reply to
Robert Macy

The John Chan model of magnetic hysterisis built into LTSpice seems to work, and it's easy enough to extract the fitting parameters from the ferrite manufacturers' data sheets.

The LTSpice help file credits it to "John Chan et la. in IEEE Transactions On Computer-Aided Design, Vol. 10. No. 4, April 1991 but extended with the methods in United States Patent 7,502,723".

Reply to
Bill Sloman