Modeling the Dynamic Behavior of the Jacketed Stirred Reactor

The control objective for the jacketed reactor study is disturbance rejection. Specifically, we seek a controller design that will minimize the impact on reactor operation when the temperature of the liquid entering the cooling jacket changes.

As with any control project, we follow our controller design and tuning recipe. Thus, we bump the process and collect controller output (CO) to process variable (PV) dynamic process data around the design level of operation. Then, we approximate this data with a first order plus dead time dynamic model.

To be of value, the bump test data must clearly reveal the "cause and effect" relationship of how CO changes force a response in the measured PV. The bump should be made with the CO, PV and major disturbances initially steady, and the PV response should clearly dominate random noise in the measurement signal...

Read the rest of this article at:

Web seminar details at:

Doug Cooper

Reply to