PID Disturbance Rejection of the Gravity Drained Tanks

In previous posts we explored disturbance rejection in the gravity drained tanks process using P-Only and then PI control. In the PI study, we confirmed the observations we had made in the PI control of the heat exchanger investigation.

In particular, we learned that PI controllers can eliminate the offset associated with P-Only control, have integral action that increases the tendency for the PV to roll (or oscillate), have two tuning parameters that interact, making it challenging to correct tuning when performance is not acceptable. Here we investigate the benefits and challenges of derivative action and PID control when disturbance rejection remains our control objective... To read the complete article, please visit:

All articles in the free e-book "Proven Methods and Best Practices for Automatic Process Control" are available as links from:

Best wishes in this holiday season,

Doug Cooper

Reply to
Doug Cooper