Center of Gravity

A message to everyone on your initial plane checkouts, the center of
gravity is important. I didn't think it was a big deal that mine was
a few inches back from where it should have been. The plane took off,
was a little squirlly and I didn't have much elevator control at all,
so I started lining up for a landing to fix it. I entered the shallow
dive for landing and never came out.
Thwack.
M@
Reply to
mSheppard
Nose-heavy aircraft fly badly.
Tail-heavy aircraft fly once. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
Reply to
Fred McClellan
Then you find out about lateral balance!! There is a learning curve to this hobby. Unfortunately gravity is almost always a part of that curve... Andy
We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!
Reply to
RCPILOT48
A few inches??? Damn! Just what size of a plane was it?
Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople
and if the CG was "a few inches back" , wouldn't the elevator be VERY sensitive instead of having no authority??
kinda sounds like something smelly living under the bridge if you ask me
Reply to
Bob Cowell
Wow....a CG that is "a couple inches" off the mark is like putting a brick on the firewall or tail. For a first flight of any model the CG needs to be "right on the mark" recommended by the manufacturer
Reply to
Cva6991
OR just a bit towards the nose!!
As it was said elsewhere on this thread:
"Nose heavy planes fly poorly, Tail heavy planes (usually) fly once!"
Reply to
Bob Severance
"couple of inches" could be the allowable range on a large model, y'know . . . Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
Reply to
Fred McClellan