exponential

I have played with the exponential settings on my radio but never really used it much. I have read other posts about setting up the H9 Twist and most pilots use expo to one degree or another. I however want to understand something before I start programming the radio.

To make the controls less sensitive to small stick inputs, I would actually use negative exponential correct? This would cause an "exponentially" higher amount of control surface movement to happen as the sticks are moved further from their centered positions correct? The advantage this would give me is to make the plane less sensitive to fat fingers on the sticks and therefore a little easier to fly, correct?

Positive expo seemed to make the control surfaces move more at first and to a lesser degree the further from center the sticks were moved.

Or maybe I was smoking crack the last time messed with it.

Just thought I'd ask. TIA

Reply to
nate

Mike Gordon

Yes, negative exponential is what you want. You are not increasing the movement at the end of the stick travel but are reducing the amount of control surface movement near the center. As the stick continues towards the end of its travel, the control surface is catching up to match the normal amount of movement. Positive exponential would make the controls more twitchy at center then decrease to normal near the end of the stick travel. Exponential is very handy!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Plus and minus expo is not the same across brands. Be careful what you recommend!

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

To expand on what icrashrc said, to soften movement about neutral on Futaba use negative expo, on JR use positive expo. Samething, but backwards in selection.

Use expo with caution, because as Fubar1 says, you gain back at the end of travel what you lost at the center. Where this becomes important is with the elevator on landing. You are flairing for that nice three point and give it just a little more elevator and all of a sudden you get twice as much movement as you wanted and the plane bolts three feet up. It was that expo that did that. Slowly increase the percentage to suit your taste.

Reply to
IFLYJ3

Your question in your post is correct if you have a Futaba system. If you have another brand,the guys are rite. You'll be backward.

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Don't get hung up on positive or negative expo. Just be sure that the sticks are less sensitive near neutral. If you get it backwards, you'll have quite a handful once you get in the air. Take the effort to really explore expo and try some different settings until you like what you get. Once you've mastered the use of what expo can do for you, you'll probably never use dual-rates again because expo gives you all the advantages of dual rates (various response rates) but without the disadvantage of dual-rates where you lose full throws (when you might suddenly want them).

MJC

Reply to
MJC

My advice was based on using Futaba. I was unaware that other systems might use positive exponential for the same effect. I have no experience with Airtronics or JR. I stand corrected!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

As do I... I was referring to a Futaba 9C series radio. I didn't know JR did it differently however I have wondered since I got it why it would be termed "negative" exponential and I guess the guys at JR and Airtronics see it that way too.

Reply to
nate

Output = f(E^-x) where e is input. Hence negative exponential.

Actually it isn't even correct for that, because that gives asymmetric response anyway.

Its a fudge, and they had to call it something.

I sometimes use postive expo on throttles.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And your reply E-mail address is??

Reply to