Moldable Iron Powder

I dunno about the ability to meet your requirements, but there are iron powders available for various uses, from toys (Etch-A-Sketch), to industrial uses.. electromagnetic clutches/brakes for machines. These examples are moderately coarse powders.

Very fine iron/steel particles are a byproduct of etching/cleaning or pickling steel products in manufacturing. The steel parts are pickled in various acids, and the particles which are suspended in the liquids are then filtered to remove the particles from the acids. The result is a mud/clay-like material that is used to manufacture other products, including iron composition cores for certain magnetic properties.

I don't have any sources to recommend.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

The finest iron powders are called "carbonyl iron"

Googling for carbonyl iron brought up this supplier: .

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

--Hey speaking of doing stuff with metal powders have you seen Bathsheba's process description yet?

steamer

Many years ago, the ferrite factory for which I worked used oxide from the steel mills as a raw material. I was told there were mountains of the stuff in West Virginia. To be usable for magnetics, the oxide would have to be fired in a cycle that included high temperatures and witchcraft.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Zone refine. Melted in a magnetic field and the field is moved slowly towards an end - moving impurities with it.

Expensive refining but quality product. Similar to that of a semiconductor process. Likely from the ferrite business.

Mart> Wild_Bill wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

and a further reply - iron powders are used in spray-metal applications but at a price

Reply to
amark

I've often wished that someone would make enameled soft iron "winding" wire. Then I could reverse the process - make up an arbitrarily complex winding on a simple bobbin, then wind the iron onto the copper "toroid" (all in a single pass of course). Tony

Reply to
Tony

Then I could

bobbin, then wind

Why enameled? The black oxide on soft-annealed iron wire is usually sufficient insulation to suppress eddy currents.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

Annealed oxide-coated iron wire is used by jewelers to hold assemblies together for soldering. Solder won't flow on it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins