Ferrite powder / granules

I am not a materials expert but I do wish to try experimenting with electromagnets. I understand soft ferrite powder / granules would
probably satisfy my requirements but I am having a problem locating the material in small quanities. Would anyone be able to help me locate a few pounds? JR
go through your kid's sandbox with a magnet - presto!

what do you want to do with the ferrite? Can't you just use iron? as a core material it performs very well, you could build a 2 Tesla magnet with it... if you use DC magnets you can just take any solid iron or steel piece. Pure iron (armco) is best.